Saturday, July 18, 2009

Where Were You?


Where were you on July 20, 1969?


It was, of course, the day American astronauts landed on the moon for the first time and this coming Monday is the 40th anniversary of the event.


And that got me to thinking about where I was that day . . .


I was spending the summer in England, studying English literature at Queen’s College, Oxford University. I was there with a group of American kids and of course, we were jazzed about the moon landing. So much so that we all agreed to meet to watch it on the "telly."


Astronauts landed on the moon at 4:17 Eastern Daylight Time, but Neil Armstrong didn’t make that historic "one small step" until six hours after that. OK, my math is fuzzy, but that means 10:17 pm, EDT. And England was (at least the way I remember it) six hours ahead of time. Which made it 4:17 am in Oxford.


Yet there we were, huddled around a small TV set, a group of kids from all over the USA, brought together by this one astounding event.


I hate to get up early. But I was really glad I did that morning. The next day (blurry-eyed, no doubt!) I bought British and French newspapers with headlines proclaiming the success of the mission. I still have them around here somewhere. Will have to search for them in honor of the anniversary.


Where were you when we landed on the moon?

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Easy one for me, I was not even no where being even created yet :)

Casey said...

Hey, rub it in, Blodeuedd!!! Just means I'm older and wiser!

Blodeuedd said...

Hehe, how mean and young I am ;)