Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Guest blogger: Elisabeth Naughton

A previous junior-high science teacher, Elisabeth Naughton now writes sexy romantic suspense and paranormal novels full time from her home in western Oregon where she lives with her husband and three children. Her debut release, Stolen Fury, was a 2007 Golden Heart Finalist and has been heralded by Publisher's Weekly as "A rock-solid debut." When not writing, Elisabeth can be found running, hanging out at the ball park or dreaming up new and exciting adventures. Visit the author’s website at www.elisabethnaughton.com

Her latest release is STOLEN HEAT:

Book Two in the Stolen Trilogy
On Sale: July 28, 2009
ISBN: 978-0-505-52794-3

His past tore them apart. Her lies thrust them back together. Now a killer's out for revenge, but the biggest threat for both may just be the heat they thought they'd already lost...

Antiquities dealer Peter Kauffman walked a fine line between clean and corrupt for years. And then he met the woman who changed his life—Egyptologist Katherine Meyer. Their love affair burned white-hot in Egypt, until the day Pete’s lies and half-truths caught up with him. After that, their relationship imploded, Kat walked out, and before Pete could find her to make things right, he heard she’d died in a car bomb.

Six years later, the woman Pete thought he’d lost for good is suddenly back. The lies this time aren’t just his, though. The only way he and Kat will find the truth and evade a killer out for revenge is to work together—as long as they don’t find themselves burned by the heat each thought was stolen long ago…


"Exciting, action-packed and fast moving, this story seamlessly alternates from the present to the past. A first-rate mystery, it has well-developed characters and a suspenseful and satisfying climax. A fine romantic thread winds through it all."
--RT BOOKReviews

"STOLEN HEAT is an awesome combination of deadly suspense, edgy action and a wonderful romance with characters that you’ll laugh, cry and yell with. I had a great time reading it and I’m definitely looking forward to more of Ms. Naughton’s books."
--Wendy, Night Owl Romance

To be entered into Elisabeth’s BIG STOLEN HEAT Release Contest click on the widget below or go to www.elisabethnaughton.com/stolen_heat_contest.html. You could win a $100 VISA gift card and a whole host of other daily prizes!

stolen heat
enter contest
share image
buy book
elisabeth naughton

---
Thanks so much to the girls at Something Wicked for having me here today! I’m thrilled to be chatting books with you all today.

Writers are really odd people, don’t you think? I can say that because I am a writer. Remember that old song from The Lost Boys (one of the BEST movies evah, by the way). “People are Strange”? I think the lyrics should be changed to “Writers are Strange”, because let’s face it…we are.

For the longest time I didn’t think I was strange, I thought I was normal. But I’ve finally faced facts…I’m about as weird as they come. I could spend hours people-watching. No, I’m not checking out that hot guy and undressing him in my mind (not always, anyway), I’m watching his body language, the way he talks to his friends, how he looks at the girl behind the snack shack counter. If a cute girl walks by me, I’m not thinking, “bitch!” I’m studying her “look” and trying to decide how I’d describe her in a book. It’s not uncommon for me to zone out in the middle of a conversation – be it with my hubby or my friends or even my dental hygienist. Because if someone says something I think I might be able to use in a book, forget the conversation, I’m suddenly trying to figure out how to work that into my next scene.

(Here’s something you probably already know but I’ll fill you in regardless: If you’re ever talking to a writer, watch out. We’re not only listening to what you have to say, we’re recording it for future use.)

Strrrrrrrrrrrange, right?

You betcha. And not only that, we talk about our characters like they’re real people.

Writer: “OMG…the way that milk spewed out of your nose when you laughed was exactly like what happened to Rick.”

Friend: “Who’s Rick?”

Writer: “In my book. Rick? You know, the hero?”

Friend: (OMG, she needs to get out more)

Unfortunately, we seem to be the only people who think our characters are real. If I were to ask my hubby who Peter Kauffman is, he’d have no clue. But my writer friends? Oh, they’d know in a heartbeat.

Case in point. Last week my CP texted me with the following:

CP: What government branch does Marty work for?

Now, any normal person would look at that text and say, “Who the hell is Marty?” But not me. No, I instinctively knew Marty was the rogue CIA operative from my upcoming release, STOLEN HEAT (which released just last week!). And I texted my CP back immediately with the answer. Later that night, when we were instant messaging, she said, “You know, we’re sick. You didn’t even bat an eyelash over the fact I was asking about a CHARACTER from your book, like he’s a real living person.”

Well, duh. To me he IS a real living person.

See? Totally not normal.

But you know what? Normal is waaaaaaaaaaaay too overrated. I love living in both reality and my own twisted alternate world. I love that my characters are real to me (and my CP!) because hopefully it means they’ll be real to readers too. (And because the hubby is reading STOLEN HEAT right now, the next time I ask him who Peter Kauffman is, he’ll automatically answer, “The hero from STOLEN HEAT. Yeah, I totally know him. He’s a pretty cool guy.)

But most of all, I love knowing someone else is thinking of my characters and wondering what happens in their lives because that means I’ll get to keep writing the books I love to write. So if that means I’m not normal…well, I can live with it. If it means I’m strange…perfect. Because I’ll be the first to admit, I am. My hubby will just have to get used to that fact (lucky for him, he already has. *grin*).

So now I’d like you to bare your soul…what’s strange about you? C’mon, you can think of something. Join me in being “not normal”.

4 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I think of myself as so normal...but perhaps not, I am always daydreaming, and I can be found daydreaming about what I write too. If a parallel world would exist my characters would so live there

Yes who needs normal ;)

azteclady said...

Normal is overrated--plus, who gets to decide WHAT is normal, anyway?

Strange: I firmly believe that the books in my TBR mountain range breed whenever I'm not looking.

And I talk to myself, a lot. Outloud.

Occasionally, I'll mutter words simply to hear how they sound (though I justify this by explaining that English is not my first language so I *have* to practice...)




I think I stop now before anyone goes to call the guys with the white coats.

RachieG said...

I'm kinda weird myself. It's nice. I say "fabulous" about 10x a day, I have no problem kissing my dog on the nose, I hate chocolate...and I don't have TV.

Weird people gotta stick together!

rachie2004@ yahoo (dot) com

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies! Nice to know I'm not the only "odd" one. :)