Thursday, August 6, 2009

Is It Done Yet???

Boy, where has the summer gone??? Here it is August and school will be starting soon. So how have I spent it??? Well, 90% of my free time has been spent working on the first five chapters of a new paranormal mystery, AND I'm happy to report, they're finally finished...I think!

Why do I say "I think"? Right now, I'm fighting the desire to do more tweaking. Not necessarily a bad thing...there's always a way to improve a story...but there comes a time when you just have to let it go. Five chapters do not a book make, and if I ever want to finish this sucker, I've got to quit diddling and move on.

And moving on means writing a synopsis to submit along with these chapters. Yuck! I HATE writing them! Honestly, I'd almost rather have a root canal! But unfortunately, like a root canal, if you need one...you need one. And I need a synopsis. For some strange reason, after reading the first few chapters, my agent and editor will want to know exactly where this particular story line is headed.

There's a slight problem with this however...even though I've tried to overcome my pantser tendencies and do have somewhat of an outline, I'm not sure how this story is going to end! I've thought of several scenarios, but with each one, I've been second guessing myself. Is it trite? Will it catch the reader by surprise? Or will it fall flat? You wouldn't think it would be that hard to get from Point A to Point B, but it is! You want to make sure that the journey between the two points is one that the reader will enjoy. Yes, all in all, I've engaged is some serious dithering here!

But I've come to a realization...the reason that I've been messing around so long with these five chapters (other than I want to do my best) and going back and forth about how the story is going to end? I'm practicing avoidance. If I don't have the chapters done or if I don't know the climax, I can't very well write the synopsis, now can I? Well, it's time to shut my eyes and just do it! (not really...I can't type with my eyes closed, but you catch my drift! 9) )

So how do you practice avoidance? What little games do you play do dodge doing something you don't enjoy???

That's it for now-catch you all later!

Best,
Shirley

1 comment:

Casey said...

Congrats on finishing the chapters, Shirley! I just finished a proposal myself (mystery, but not paranormal) so I know what a big ol' pain it can be! As for writing a synopsis, I've done so many in my career (so, so many!) that I've learned the fine art of being vague. Of course, that doesn't work really well with a mystery. You need to show the logical progression of your story. But there are ways. Believe me! Best of luck with the proposal! The hardest part comes after it's done...the waiting!