Monday, August 31, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!

Hi everyone,

I'm heading out to see a minor league ballgame tonight! I'm not even really partial to baseball, but I'm so excited.

It's a break from stress.

As far as sports go, I'm a football kinda girl. I always felt like baseball was a little tedious, and add to that the fact I was never any good at playing it, I haven't paid much attention to it. When I say I was no good at baseball, I mean it. I was awful.

First of all, I'm not the most coordinated chickie in the nest. I can't really run to save my life. I sorta half hobble as I run, and end up looking like a mix between one of those crazy running lizards and a newborn calf with two legs tied together.

Given that, running sports are not usually my cup of tea, and base-running is pretty much a lesson in humiliation. That's assuming I could hit the ball.

I've got this weird thing about hitting flying things with other things. Give me something to throw at something flying through the air, and I'll nail it. Ask me to swing a bat or a tennis racket, nope, no can do. I can't extend the object I'm swinging past my hands. This has resulted in several games of tennis where people laugh in hysterics while I look around baffled wondering where the ball went as it floated under my racket near my knuckles.

So let's assume I struck out, and our team is in the outfield, because let's face it, if I'm up to bat, that's what happens. That is the only part of baseball I used to enjoy. Remember how I said I was pretty good at throwing? I wasn't a complete gimp in the outfield, if I caught the ball. (Not so easy with that racket issue, but I did all right with a baseball glove.)

But my fondest memories of playing baseball were just standing out in the outfield. Okay, usually right field, but I'm not knocking it. I got to spend some time standing in the grass, with the sun on my back in the fresh air. That was awesome.

Now I enjoy going to baseball games, because I love that grass. It is always so green, and people are relaxed, having fun, eating hot dogs, smiling, throwing insults at the pitcher, whatever. It has to be one of the most low key sports to watch, and because of that, it's a great stress reliever.

So I'll see you out at the ballpark. We all could use a little break.

Jess

5 comments:

Mary Ann DeBorde said...

Mary D

I hope you have a great time at the ballgame, a little fun & relaxation is a good thing (and nothing beats a ballgame hotdog - heck, I remember when they used to be called 'redhots' when my dad would take me to ball games back in the 60's lol)
Anyhoo - enjoy your break :)

Casey said...

Have fun, Jess. I actually love baseball. One of my fantasies? Owning a minor league team!

TFischer15260 said...

There is something about sitting at a baseball game eating a hotdog, drinking a beer and spending time with some friends. Ya, I guess baseball can be relaxing. But don't forget to bring you baseball glove. Find the perfect glove go to www.fireflybaseball.com .

Mary Ann DeBorde said...

Mary D

OMG - your 'running' description of a calf with two legs tied together mixed with one of those funny running lizards (what are they called?)almost made me choke on my soda!!!
Too Funny LOL

Jess Granger said...

I had a great time at the game. Thanks everyone. It was a beautiful evening, and there's something charming about minor league games. I ended up on the big scoreboard screen! (I think that was mostly because I was holding my little baby, but still. It was pretty cool.