Monday, August 17, 2009

The Waiting Game

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry I missed last week, but I'm back. We recently moved into our new house, and let's just say I've been having some internet trouble.

What is it with the cable company anyway?

I was thinking about the way they run their business, and it absolutely drives me bonkers. Wait around your house, we'll be there sometime between eight in the morning and five at night. No no, don't plan anything else, because if you're changing a diaper and we ring the doorbell, sorry, we'll leave and you'll have to wait another two weeks for internet. Honestly?

Then we have a power outage this morning, and of course the cable internet went down too. The power was back up in an hour. Cable? Yeah, not so much.

I've realized it takes a certain audacity to make others wait for you. But then again, it takes almost as much audacity to demand no wait at all. Which got me thinking about author/reader interactions and an article I read about how often the mail used to be delivered. In major metro areas, the mail used to come as often as seven times, A DAY. Waiting for letters used to be like watching the little refresh bar blink after you click "check email". As humans, we've always been impatient for correspondence.

I think we like to know we're all connected. Sometimes I worry about the enormous pressure for immediate correspondence the digital age has created. I feel like we're marching toward having implants in our brain that let us speak directly into one another's thoughts. How creepy is that? "Get out of my head, Mom. I don't want to hear it."

Which brings me back to author/reader relationships. I feel like there's a lot of pressure to remain open and accessible. Where writing used to be about if you liked a book, in some cases now it seems like having a relationship with the author is also important. That said, I've been so grateful for the thrill of having little emails of encouragement showing up in my inbox. It's a strange new world we live in. It's thrilling, but it puts one in a scary and vulnerable place as well.

I guess all I can do is try to respond to people as quickly as I can, because I know they're probably as excited as I am to get a message. It's just in our nature.

Jess

4 comments:

e_booklover said...

I enjoyed Beyond the Rain a lot and I am looking forward to the next one. Thanks for sharing that world with us.

Jess Granger said...

You're welcome. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. There's some details to the world building on the release week posts from my blog if you want to check them out. http://jessgranger.blogspot.com

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

{thoughtful look} The very first person I "met" on the net was a published author. Amazingly enough, we've never quite managed to fall out of touch, and it's been over a decade. {pause, Smile}

It's been interesting chatting with her. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Jess Granger said...

I find it strange how the internet has opened us up to a new type of relationship. I like it. I like interacting with people online, but the nature of now now now, why can't the page reload faster... might be messing with us.

It's like people texting and driving. If I don't answer the phone, people freak out, but I remember the days of, "Let the machine get it." Or better, "If it's important, they'll call back."