Monday, September 28, 2009

Got My Wires Crossed

Hi everyone!

This weekend was frustrating for my hubby and me. We had a "project," fix the light fixtures in the bathroom we're trying to clean up.

Yeah, simple project turned out to be not so simple. We live in a pretty old house that was once occupied by this little old man that liked to get creative with wiring. In the process of trying to replace two simple lights, we've been up in the attic twice, tracing old wiring down to this three way switch that never worked right, and finally figured out where the short was in the attic fan.

My hubby spent three hours trying to figure out how power managed to bypass one of the lights until he finally realized I had screwed it up, by not screwing it up tight enough. One of the hot wires came out and shorted out the outlet he was trying to install.

Perfect.

At the same time, I'm plotting. Now I love plotting because by the end, I know exactly what I want to do with my story and why, I just need to write it. The problem is, plotting can be a lot like the wiring. Sometimes everything is simple, white to white, black to black.

And other times it is a jumbled mess of threads I can't seem to connect so it works right.

Wish me luck. I've got a bit of a mess, but I think I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Once I get my formal synopsis ironed out, my book three should be good to go.

Then it's just a matter of writing the thing. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Happy writing (and home improvements) everyone,

Jess

4 comments:

Mary Ann DeBorde said...

Mary D

I do wish you great luck! and ANYTHING having to do with hubby's and home repair is so not fun lol

At least no one got electrocuted ;)

Jess Granger said...

Yet, LOL

MTwyman said...

GOOD LUCK! I know what you mean about plotting. It keeps you on track! I can sometimes run off on tangents if I don't have a "guardrail" in place.



www.marcustwyman.com

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

My fullest sympathies on the house repairs. We've been having to do quite a bit of repair and re-modelling this year. This just happened to be the year when an awful lot of work needed to be done. {lop-sided smile}

I'm glad you got the wiring worked out with no major catastrophes. Wiring is tricky! {Sympathetic Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin