Friday, September 25, 2009

The Last Best Thing

I'm not sure where or when I came up with this term, but it's one I use pretty much exclusively for books I've read that made me say Wow! You know the kind of book that puts you on a whole new track for a while? Examples for me have been books by Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison and Kelley Armstrong. Those books put me on the urban fantasy trail. Then there are last best things from all time favorite authors which for me always includes Connie Willis.

It has been a while though since I read a last best thing. I've read good books, books I really enjoyed, but none that made me want to go on a hunt for more of the same or just made me say Wow. And I think I'm in need of such a book.

So, I'm asking, what was the last best thing you read? And how did it affect you? Was it just a Wow, or did it send you on a search for more of the same?
Tell, tell!

2 comments:

elnice said...

rachel vincent shifters series. LOVED IT.

ClothDragon said...

Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series, Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson series and Jim Butcher's Dresden series are also good in the Urban Fantasy genre.