Tuesday, September 8, 2009

An ode to Heather Graham

You know what it's like when you've admired someone for a long time, but never met them in person? And then when you finally get a chance to see them face-to-face (all the while hoping there's nothing in your teeth or down the front of your shirt since you checked five minutes ago) they're just as great as you imagined?

I had one of those moments this weekend when I was able to meet Heather Graham. I've loved her books for years and it was a real thrill to see her. So much so that I rambled a bit, but hey, I'm sure she's used to that. Hopefully.

I remember the first book I ever read by Heather Graham - And One Wore Gray, this sweeping Civil War love story that is still on my keeper shelf today. In fact, when I learned I was going to get to meet her, I read it yet again. My husband kept telling me to take it along for an autograph, but, er, the pages are literally starting to fall out. Have I mentioned it's a well-loved book?

Heather Graham was in New Orleans this weekend, hosing her annual Writers for New Orleans Workshop. It was packed full of great workshops, amazing events and food, as well as free time to wander the Big Easy. I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking for a writing getaway. In the mean time? Well, I think there's a Mint Julep with my name on it.

No comments: