Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Some Mexican Flavor

No, really, I mean it. You probably expected me to post about Doubleblind, didn't you? Which came out yesterday. It's available in all bookstores and online fiction retailers. But I'm not gonna post about that at all.
Order Now
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Books-a-Million
Borders
Mysterious Galaxy
Powell's Books

*grin*

I had some interest on Twitter from Juliana Stone and Elisabeth Naughton regarding my refritos recipe. (That's refried beans to y'all.) So I decided I'd post it here for other curious parties.

I start with dry black beans. You should be able to get those at any store. (This works with red beans too.)

Soak them for an hour in warm water. Overnight soaking is not necessary. Then rinse with cold water. Boil them for 2-3 hours (or until they're done. Cooking time may vary.) You'll need to keep an eye on these and possibly add water, if it all boils away. Don't let them burn! I just use plain water & a spoonful of my favorite cooking oil. (It's soy & olive oil combined with Omega 3).

When the beans are tender, we eat on them whole for a couple of days. When you're good and tired of plain beans, then it's time to make the refritos. *g* Drain most of the liquid off. If you have a hand blender (or regular blender), use it to process the cooked beans into a paste. Set this aside.

Dice up one tomato, one small onion and a spicy chile. Saute these in a frying pan, along with your favorite oil. Add cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and salt. When the onions are lightly golden, add your bean paste. If needed, add a little drizzle of oil. Add hot sauce to taste. Mix it all up really well, and fry until they look like refritos you see in restaurants. Your refritos should be totally yummy! Mine are. These will gain flavor every time you heat them because of the onion and chile.

I recommend keeping them in your fridge for a quick meal of molletes. This is a bolillo (or baguette) split in half. You spread the refritos on top and then sprinkle soft white cheese (I use Oaxaca and Manchego, but mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or Gouda are decent choices as well) on top. Bake on a flat pan until the bread is toasty and the cheese is melted. These are SO good! And more important, very fast. Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes (or a green salad) and you have full nutritional value.

What's your favorite recipe?

2 comments:

RKCharron said...

Hi Ann,
Congratulations on the release of DOUBLEBLIND!
My favorite recipe is my mom's chocolate chip cookie recipe.
:)
I'm sorry I didn't know it was a chat-thingy yesterday, I thought it was a comment to a post. Yes I agree with you, re vampires reverting to "monster" status in a lot of novels.
:)
I went to Bittenbybooks for Karen's chat but there was only a post/interview. I guess it was like Borders, where you post a comment & wait? I'll have to apologize to her too.
I kept looking for the chat link.
:)
Love & Best Wishes Ann :)
Rob
xoxo
PS - my word verification is "worsewit" :)

e_booklover said...

Ooh looks yummy! I am going to have to try it. Need to find a favorite recipe that works in high altitude. I am still learning how to adjust to that.

Congrats on your release day! I plan on reading Doubleblind while I am on vacation. It is waiting in my TBR pile.