Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Twitter

Do you guys Twitter?

I do. I'm at @ann_aguirre & I love it. Most social networking sites are not for me. MySpace is a wasteland of sparkly things and people who don't read anything, ever. Facebook has become a swamp of unappealing apps and people who keep recommending I become friends with somebody I don't know or become a fan of somebody I never heard of.

But Twitter makes me happy. I've actually found it forces me to be concise because you can't ramble in 140 characters. I don't feel guilty about Twitter because I can join whatever conversation is going on if I want. I can wander away when I want. It's like dipping your toe in quicksilver, watching the pretty patterns, and then going on your way. I feel no shame about dropping a throwaway comment about what the dog did and then going back to work. Then I can read what other people had to say about said event a few hours later. It's all the pleasure of a chat room with a thousand cool people and none of the commitment.

The one thing I don't understand is people looking to pad their followers. They follow you. They don't talk to you. Then they unfollow because you didn't follow them back. For me, this does not compute at all. I follow people I find interesting, people who amuse me, or who interact with me. There are no exceptions. I'm absolutely puzzled why anyone would follow someone in the hopes they follow back. I mean, obviously, if I follow Neil Gaiman, he's not gonna follow me back. I just want to be entertained by his witty remarks. (In fact, I don't follow Neil Gaiman or any other celebrity because I'm always afraid they won't be as cool as I think they are.) For the people who followed me and were disappointed, I'm sorry about that. I'm a tremendous dork, fair warning. But if you like to randomly converse about dorky things, then I'm your huckleberry.

How do you guys feel about Twitter?

16 comments:

TJ said...

At one time, I swore never to use twitter, but now I love it.

It helps me keep up with some of my favorite authors. :)

Pearl said...

I love Twitter for the precise reasons you mentioned!
And don't get me started on the followers stuff. I follow people I have common interests with, especially regarding my romance reading hobby. If they don't follow me? Don't care.

Michele Lee said...

I love it. It offers a nice writing break without getting overwhelmed. Of course I like Facebook games too.

Janicu said...

Um.. I may have been on twitter crowing about how I'm reading DOUBLEBLIND all morning. Everyone wants to read it now! Muahahaha!!!!

Ann Aguirre said...

You're reading Doubleblind? How?!

Vivi Anna said...

I too like Twitter the best out of all the social networking sites.

I follow people that interest me, I follow a couple of movie people that I find fascinating, and I like their little bits of info...Nathan Fillion is funny and so is Diablo Cody.

But I don't expect anyone to follow me. If people do that's extra cool.

Blodeuedd said...

I do use twitter, but it's more now that I have become active and talking. For long it was more like what is twitter

Ann Aguirre said...

Well, yeah, Vivi, but you don't unfollow Nathan cos he's not following you back! *g* Clearly you're not a Twitter padder.

Janicu said...

Penguin sent me an early copy. I really have no idea how I got it (maybe they could tell I REALLY REALLY wanted to read it?) but I am beyond thrilled.

Ann Aguirre said...

Ohhhh, I know. I put you on Rosanne's publicity list, J. She must be sending early copies to a select few reviewers. You lucky duck!

Barbara said...

I resisted for quite a while, but now I'm hooked. I enjoy those little glimpses of my favorite authors' daily lives, keeping up with my son and his fiancee, putting in my 2 cents when I think it's appropriate, and so on.
I'm always amazed when someone actually decides to follow me, I don't look for it, but I think it's kind of cool. Except those advertising their "naked pics" and so on, I can do without those, and I do.

SaturnMoonie said...

I love Twitter, because of all the reasons you said.

And I also agree about the follow/unfollow thing. It doesn't hurt my feelings if I'm following you and you don't. If you amuse me, then that's what I want. People just think this is another popularity contest (like facebook and myspace is for some people)

Although I still love my myspace. And I do read just about everything all my friends post. :D I'm a very dedicated friend.

I shall add you to my twitter. I like dorks.

Deborah said...

I was considering dropping authors I follow from facebook because I see the same content on both. But I don't want to hurt your feelings by unfriending you. I just thought it would be simpler to keep friends on facebook and people I read on twitter.

Ann Aguirre said...

Well, speaking for myself, I don't mind, Deborah. :)

Casey said...

I don't get it. I don't want to.

Susan said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Margaret

http://businesseshome.net