Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Halloween!!

Can you believe it--tomorrow is Halloween!

Even though I have never been a fan of being scared (I HATED those cheesy haunted houses you were trotted through as a child, especially ones where some misguided adult thought it would be funny to grab the unwitting blond kid) I've always loved Halloween.

The first Halloween I remember I was a ghost. I wore a pillow case. Yep, a pillow case and it reached my ankles. My best friend was also a ghost, but she was a female ghost with an apron. Other years we dug out costumes from around the house. Things like my mother's old Cinco de Mayo dress from high school, or a pieced together frontiersman outfit from my regular wardrobe. (I had an extensive collection of fringed purses, moccasins and such.)

Then in college I got a little more "real", but I still made my own outfits. One year I was a witch. I sewed gauzy scarves onto a black scoop necked shirt for sleeves and paired it with a skirt, hat, etc. I also remember a repeat of a childhood costume--go go dancer. (Except as a child I had the white vinyl boots, wow.)

Now I have kids to dress and I have to admit I have gotten lazy. I still can't bring myself to pay retail, even at Target, but I do regularly hit eBay.

So, how about you? What were your favorite costumes of years gone by...and if you were (or are) to dress up today, what would you be?

Here's a list of this year's hot costumes...Michael Jackson, anything Twilight/vampire, anything zombie, and for the kids set...transformers and princesses. Look for them! Oh, and I'm betting there will be more than one H1N1 virus slamming down some spiked punch somewhere...

No comments: