Saturday, October 3, 2009

One of These Things (Is Not Like the Others)

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn’t belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

A Sesame Street classic
Word and music by Joe Raposo and Jon Stone

Remember a couple months ago when I proudly posted the cover for "Dead Man Talking," the book that will be on the shelves next Tuesday? Well, here it is . . .





And here’s the cover that will really be on the book when you see it (and hopefully, buy it!) at your local bookstore next week.




What’s the difference? Well, take a close look and you’ll see. The cemetery stone arch is gone from the "new and improved" version. So are the gates. There are plenty more gravestones. And those spooky, ghostly swirls have been added.

So what’s it all about? It’s a long story, and I’ll leave it to your imaginations to fill in the blanks. Let’s just say that there I was earlier this summer, tooling around the Internet, looking for what, I don’t remember. And I found it...a book coming out in June of this year from an author I didn’t know and a publishing house different from mine–with a cover that was very, very similar!

Yikes!

I contacted my editor. My editor contacted the art department. And did I expect results? Well, in the best of all possible worlds, of course I did. But here’s the thing: authors have always been told two things:

#1 Once the artwork on a cover is done, it’s set in stone
#2 Covers are printed six months ahead of time so after that time, it’s impossible for anything to change

But three cheers for the folks at Berkley Prime Crime! They stepped up to the plate, and the next thing I knew, I had that cover you’ll see on "Dead Man Talking" next week. And you know what? I actually like it better than the first version. It’s not as claustrophobic and I love those spooky swirls!

8 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I like the new cover too, it has more room and more spooky

RKCharron said...

Hi :)
I'm glad you were able to change the cover. You're right, the second one is better. Thank you for sharing it.
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Casey said...

We all have such good taste! I like the second one better, too!

elnice said...

I like the second one too. Its simplier, more eye catching.

Pissenlit said...

Nice!

Casey said...

Dead Man Talking goes on sale today--Tuesday, October 6. With the correct cover, of course!

Jess Granger said...

I think it's gorgeous. Very nice!

Abigail [All Things Urban Fantasy] said...

Add another vote for the second cover. The tombstones etc are more in keeping with Pepper.