Monday, October 19, 2009

Should've Taken that Left Turn...

Hi everyone,

I know I'm sick and twisted, but I really like writing my synopsis. Last night I finished one, and today I get to look over it and try to see the big picture. I've got a feeling this latest story can use a little slimming, so I'm going to have to look at the structure of the book and really focus on how the romantic arc evolves.

Then I really get down to it and plan the chapter by chapter outline.

Have I mentioned I'm a plotter.

I like maps too. I like to know where I am and where I'm going. Otherwise, even though I've got a pretty good sense of direction, I get lost.

It's awesome to have a navigation system in the car, but sometimes I really miss breaking out the old maps. I used to sit in the passenger seat with the Rand McNally Road Atlas and just stare at it for miles, looking for funny names of little towns, trying to remember state mottos and capitols.

Quick, what's the capitol of South Carolina?

Columbia if you're interested.

Navigation systems don't have the same scope as an old fashioned map. The navigation system with always get me where I'm going, but sometimes it isn't as much fun. Maybe that's why I write out my big detailed plotting sessions for my books in old beat up notebooks.

Sometimes there's nothing like taking a step back.

Jess

No comments: