Monday, October 12, 2009

The Waiting Game


Hi everyone,

Casey mentioned yesterday how long it takes from the moment you turn a book in, to the time it actually is published.

I'm in the middle of waiting too, as illustrated by my pets, Jake (top), Maggie (middle), and Suki (bottom).

I'm waiting for my revision letter for my second book, Beyond the Shadows which should be out this May. I'm getting a little nervous. I had so much fun writing this book, that I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall. Until I hear back from my editor, I've got this endless stream of "What if she doesn't like it? What if I have to change it?" running through my head.

I'm usually pretty good about changing things with my writing. I don't get too attached, and if someone has a valid point about something it's pretty easy for me to see the other side of things. But this book has me a little scared because I feel like I like it too much, and changing anything is going to hurt.

I'm sure I'll feel differently once I actually read through it again, and the book itself isn't matching up with the vision of it in my mind. Then I'm sure my big red pen will fly all over that thing until it does match my vision. And that's really the point of all this. As of yet, I don't think I've edited something and liked the end result less than the original. I don't think I could stop messing with it until I liked it more.

So I guess I'll wait and see what the vision letter has to say, whenever it comes.

In the mean time, I'll take a hint from my pets. While waiting, I could...

Stare at the squirrels out the back slider window all day.
Set up an ambush and spring it on an unsuspecting family member.
Sit on the stairs and feel lofty.
Cuddle with my favorite stuffed animal.
Rip apart my favorite stuffed animal.
Steal small shiny things and hide them.
Sing, all night long. (Thanks for that one, Maggie)
Or curl up in bed with someone warm and snuggly.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

Jess

No comments: