Thursday, November 5, 2009

I Heart Pro-Animal Heroes!

Something Wicked would like to welcome Marcia James! She's one of ten authors who donated short stories to the Berkley anthology, Tails of Love, which has raised $10,000 since June for an Ohio no-kill animal shelter. In "Rescue Me", Marcia's contribution to this fundraising book, ex-quarterback Adam "Nuke" Baumgardner saves a starving stray, and the Chinese crested hairless dog returns the favor by reuniting him with his lost love, veterinarian Claire Mendelsohn.

Here's Marcia in her own words:

I love reading love stories featuring four-legged characters. Yes, shape-shifters are sizzling hot, but I'm talking about your basic dogs and cats. Nothing makes a hero more lovable than watching him bonding with a kitten or rescuing a puppy.

In Hollywood, screenwriters have long used the animal-themed short-cut to humanizing a character. When someone onscreen pets a dog, you know s/he is a good person. Remember As Good As It Gets, when Jack Nicholson's curmudgeon falls for the toy-sized dog?

I'm a sucker for Alpha heroes who like animals, and you'll always find pets in my "hot, humorous romances". My author logo is Smokey, the Chinese crested hairless dog from my first novel, At Her Command. Tiny "cresties" are the perfect comic sidekicks for my big, macho heroes. And writing about animals ties in with my avocation-supporting animal causes on a local and national level.

This first week in November is National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week, the perfect time to read about matchmaking animals in a romantic novel-like Tails of Love! This benefit anthology is the pet project (pun intended) of New York Times bestselling author Lori Foster, who contributes a story along with mine and those of award-winning authors Kate Angell, Stella Cameron, Dianne Castell, Anne Christopher, Donna MacMeans, Sarah McCarty, Patricia Sargeant, and Sue-Ellen Welfonder. Each of the ten stories features an animal-from cats and dogs to a monkey and a pygmy goat. And all of the authors' and agents' proceeds go to the Animal Adoption Foundation in Hamilton County, OH.

Tails of Love is available in trade paperback from online stores such as Amazon and from brick-and-mortar stores, like Barnes & Noble.

What is your favorite fictional four-legged character? Leave a comment (including your email address) to win an e-book of my comic romantic suspense, At Her Command, starring Smokey, the undercover DEA drug-sniffing "crestie".

Who is my favorite fictional four-legged character-besides Smokey, of course? I have a soft spot in my heart for the crime-solving Siamese cats, Koko and Yum-Yum, from "The Cat Who…" mystery series by Lilian Jackson Braun.

Happy National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week!
-- Marcia James

13 comments:

Keri Stevens said...

My favorite fictional animals are, for some reason, birds. From Poe's Raven to E.B. White's swan, I know that if a tale involves feathers, I'm going to enjoy every word.

In real life? Not so much. I want animals that can keep my feet warm while I'm on my laptop--like Ivy, my shelter puppy, who is the perfect writing companion.

Marcia James said...

Keri -- I loved your comment! ;-) I, too, like fictional birds -- especially those who can talk -- and have a parrot in my work-in-progress. But when it comes to real life, cats and dogs are great. ;-)
-- Marcia ;-)

Marcia James said...

I have to run out to the dentist because I broke my temporary crown last night, but I'll be back by noon, I hope, to see if we have more fun comments.
-- Marcia ;-)

Brenda Lee Watson said...

I'm such a dog lover (own two little black doxies) but I have to rate Garfield as my favorite fictional four-legged creature. There's just something about this comic strip fat cat's attitude that tugs at the rebellious, break-all-the-rules voice inside all of us. Sometimes, I wish I could be so irreverent AND get away with it, too! :)

Marcia James said...

Hi, Brenda Lee! I read Garfield every morning over breakfast. Since he and I share a birth month (June), I have a soft spot in my heart for him. By the way, I really do celebrate my entire birth MONTH at my age! I'm sure Garfield would agree that a birth DAY is simply not long enough. ;-)
-- Marcia ;-)

Cathy M said...

Hi Marcia, my favorite is Galahad (the cat) in the Eve Dallas series by JD Robb. He is funny, and very opinionated and there is no doubt how much he is loved by Roarke and Eve. He's got what you'd call personality and his appearance in every book gives us an insight in to the human's that care for him. Really well done.

caity_mack(at)yahoo(dot)com

Marcia James said...

Hi, Cathy! I LOVE the JD Robb series! Galahad is a great pet for Eve and Roarke. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!
-- Marcia ;-)

Sue (okibi_insanity) said...

Awww. I love animals in novels. They are fun to read about. My favorite fictional animals are dogs. I love Mouse in Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. I love how despite he is a big dog he let Mister (a cat) walk all over him. Soo cute. Maybe he is just living up to his name? ;]

Sue
okibi_insanity[at]yahoo[dot]com

Marcia James said...

Hi, Sue! I've heard such good things about the Dresden Files, but I haven't read any of the books yet. Now that you've told me about Mouse and Mister, I have two more reasons to check out the series. Thanks!
-- Marcia ;-)

Patricia Sargeant said...

I'm late to the party, but Marcia, I really enjoyed your post - and I love your stories. Thanks for helping to raise awareness of the plight of abused and abandoned pets and animals! It's such a worthy cause.

Best!

Patricia

Marcia James said...

Hi, Patricia! It's nice to see a fellow TAILS OF LOVE author here. I especially enjoyed your "Scaredy Cat" story in that anthology! ;-)

--Marcia ;-)

Linda Henderson said...

I have to admit I'm partial to Familiar the cat that Caroline Burnes writes about in the Harlequin Intrigue line. There isn't much that cat doesn't get into.

Marcia James said...

Hi, Linda! I just picked up one of the Familiar the cat stories at a thrift store and enjoyed it very much.

I recently listened to a book-on-CD called DOG ON IT. I can't remember the author's name, but it's the first in a mystery series that is written totally in the point-of-view of Chet, a dog who belongs to a private investigator and helps him with his cases. It was really fun. ;-)

-- Marcia ;-)