Sunday, November 15, 2009

Planning life...

I am a big planner. Usually I do it twice a year--once when everyone else does it, January 1 and once at the beginning of the school year, around the beginning of September.

This year, however, I got sidetracked. I was overwhelmed with writing projects--deadlines, copy edits, art fact sheets, etc.--and really didn't have the time or energy to think about where I wanted to go next. Honestly, I just wanted to wade through what I already had on my plate.

Then we (the Devoti family) had a few setbacks. Both of our dogs died this summer. We got a new dog that we adopted from a rescue organization. This dog had a lot of potential, but quite honestly needed to be in a home without kids while that potential was realized. He bit my son--badly. As in ambulance, five hours in the emergency room badly. We all survived, but it was a tad of an emotional setback as you can probably imagine.

Meanwhile, we were also dealing with not getting H1N1. My kids both have cystic fibrosis which makes them high high risk for the virus. A child in my son's class got the flu and we decided to pull both kids from school while waiting for the vaccine--which we thought would be soon. UH, no, it wasn't.

I've been homeschooling for about two months....

BUT....finally we got the vaccine, we got a new dog (a puppy), AND my book that I've been working on is being sent to Harlequin tomorrow! Let us all yell hallelujah. :)

And now I can think about planning again...maybe...because if this past few months taught me anything it's that you really can't plan life. Can you? ;-)

How about you? Are you a planner? Do you get comfort from your plan or when things get off track does it just upset you more?

4 comments:

Diane P said...

I am definitely a planner and I like to get things done ahead of time. Good thing I did that last year since we were snowed in the 2 weeks before Christmas. We got out one day and it snowed 24 inches the next day. We didn't get mail for 2 weeks and UPS didn't make it up the hill either.
I am already chomping at the bit to get my plans set for this Christmas. Now if everyone else would cooperate. ;)

Moonsanity said...

I'm not really a "set in concrete" type of planner. This summer it seemed like everything we DID plan went to hell:) I'm impressed that you were able to finish a book with all you had going on! I can't imagine how scary H1N1 is for your family.

Brandy said...

I'm a planner. Unfortunately I forget to clue to my family in on my plans. *G* I sometime think they need to "Know" what I need to get done. But, I'm working on speaking up and letting them know now. I'm just as important as they are. At least that's what I keep trying to remind myself.

Lori Devoti said...

Diane P,
Are you talking family plans for Christmas? I tend to take family stuff more as it comes. My planning need comes out in my other life...work, writing, etc. Probably related to Meyers Briggs. They say your Meyers Briggs personality profile can be onte thing for personal interactions and another for business. I think that is me. :)
Moonsanity,
I got my first ever extension on my deadline--two weeks. I could have rushed the book through to make my original deadline, but I knew both it and I would have suffered. :)
Brandy,
My family learn my plans when I growl at them. ;-)