Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Life has been rather challenging lately, but recently I had the opportunity to attend "Murder and Mayhem in Muskego" thanks to an invitation from Ruth and Jon Jordan of CRIMESPREE Magazine and Penny at the Muskego Public Library. Not only did I have a great time meeting those who attended the conference, but I got to hang out with some really cool authors!! The whole experience brought home, once again, why I love being an author! Here's my top five reasons:

1. As stated above, I get to hang out with other authors and it's been my experience that they're a great bunch of people. Funny and generous with both their time and knowledge...each time I'm with them, I learn more about the craft of writing.
2. The readers...there's nothing more rewarding to me as an author to meet those who've enjoyed Ophelia and Abby. All of my life, reading has been important to me and it's given me an escape during tough times. I've always been grateful for the entertainment that my favorite authors have provided for me. Now as an author, when someone tells me that my work has done the same for them...well, it just doesn't get any better than that! It makes me feel that, at least in some way, I'm giving back what has so richly been given to me over the years.
3. I love the dress code! Except for when I'm doing events, I get to wear ratty, old t-shirts and sweats. I don't have to worry if it's a bad hair day, or if my makeup's okay. I can stumble out of bed, do a few ablutions, grab my coffee, and I'm good to go. No fuss; no muss, and the fact that the way I look could possibly frighten small children doesn't come into play. ;)
4. The hours...they're whenever I want. If an idea is simmering and I need to get it down, be it eight o'clock in the morning, or midnight, I can work on it at my pleasure. Not too many occupations allow that kind of freedom.
5. I can create my own world. And one in which the hero always wins, justice is always served, and I have all day to think up one clever line. In the real world...not so much. The good guys don't always win, justice sometimes seemed to be stymied by rules and regulations, and cleverness? After the fact...usually what I should've said hits me two hours later.

But without you and your support, the above list wouldn't exist. So on this Thanksgiving 2009, I'd like to thank all of you for giving me the opportunity to call myself an author!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Best,
Shirley

1 comment:

Blodeuedd said...

Happy Thanksgiving! :)