Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What do you think?

I was doing a signing a few weeks ago when someone came to my table with a Kindle case. It seems some readers no longer have books to sign - at least not the kind with paper covers. And I thought this was clever - she's having authors sign her Kindle case with a black Sharpie. It made me smile, and I signed.

Another reader who was waiting saw what had happened and reached into her purse. It turns out she carries her Kindle everywhere she goes. She also reads paper books and I signed one for her, along with her Kindle. I was the first author to sign that one. No doubt, there will be more.

Now I've been hearing about e-readers for years, but that day at the signing, it finally clicked just how mainstream they've become. I know - you're saying, "Fox, get with the program." And I will. I have. Still, I'm one of those people who needs a paper book. I love the feel of a book in my hands. I like turning the top corner of the right-hand page when I want to mark my place (book abuse) and I'll even (gasp) write in my favorite books sometimes. Now someone is probably saying you can do all that (save the folding) with an e-reader, but I'm just not ready.

But I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one. Barnes & Noble just released the Nook. Amazon is upgrading the Kindle and Sony also has an e-reader out there. I'm sure there are more. So what about you? Do you have one of the e-readers? If so, how do you like it? And is there anyone else out there like me, who just has to have a paper book in their hands?

11 comments:

Book Junkie said...

I am in love with my Sony! I go everywhere with it and if I every made an author signing I think that is such a great idea!!!!

elnice said...

I've been sitting on a fence about them for so long. I too love the feels, smell, weight of a new book. The jury is still out.

Jess Granger said...

I've just been waiting for the technology to iron out.

I don't want to invest in one reader, only to have that reader incompatible with the format of whatever system they use as the standard in a couple of years.

I still feel like we're in the middle of the tech war when it comes to ereaders.

Until DRM free formats that can be read across the board on any reader are the standard, I can't invest that much money in a technology I might not be able to use in the near future.

Jessica Kennedy said...

That's such an awesome idea! Why didn't I think of that?!

I have a Kindle (1) and I've had it for nearly 2 years now.

I love it. :) I can't wait to see what else comes out as eReaders! The nook seemed to be refreshing but there are issues that make me love my Kindle even more. :)

I don't foresee Amazon's format disappearing in the future.

RKCharron said...

Hi Angie :)
I am just like Jess Granger.
I'm waiting for non-proprietary formats. Right now I read ebooks in pdf format (preferred) and microsoft .lit format.
:)
I think it's a great idea to get authors to sign the kindle case.
:)
Thank you for sharing,
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Angie Fox said...

I can see the future unfolding - lots of Kindle and Sony cases at signings and me going home afterward to read my paper books. :)

Andrea said...

I prefer paper books to e books, but I do buy some.

Diane P said...

There is no reason not to have both. I love my Kindle and take it everywhere because it gives me choices for what I can read. I still buy paperback books, especially when they don't come on the Kindle.
I wasn't sure I would like it because I do love books, but it is lighter than a lot of books & easier to hold. Don't knock it until you try it, cause I do love mine now.

Jackie (Literary Escapism) said...

I have my Kindle and I love it, especially when I'm with the monkey. Your "turn down corner" is even on the Kindle. It's kind of cute actually.

The one thing I am loving about it is that I can get so many free books from Amazon.

Casey said...

I've only seen the Sony reader and was far more impressed than I thought I would be. I especially like that you can change the font on what you're reading. A big plus for readers of (ahem) a certain age.

Diane P said...

Kindle has that ability also so on nights when my eyes are tired, I can increase the font size.