Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Elementary? I Don't Think So!


I will admit it . . . I was completely jazzed when I learned there’s a Sherlock Holmes movie coming out on Christmas day. Holmes! The world’s most famous detective! MY favorite detective of all times! Holmes is the reason I started reading mysteries, the reason I started writing them.


Oh yes, I was excited, all right, and grateful to whatever gods are at work in Hollywood that someone had the good sense to make a movie about an era that interests me and a private consulting detective who never fails to fascinate.


Until I turned on the TV one day and saw previews for "Sherlock Holmes."


OK, Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes . . . I can buy into that. Though for me, no actor anytime, anywhere will ever equal the brilliance of Jeremy Brett in the roll, I am willing to suspend disbelief and accept another person playing Holmes.


I am not familiar with the actor playing Watson, I don’t even remember his name, but again, I’m willing to take a chance.


But . . .


An action-packed Holmes?


Fighting?


Punching?


(Gulp!) Kissing women???


Swinging from bridges and doing karate moves and looking like a superhero?


I gotta tell you, though I’m not a hidebound traditionalist (well, not usually, anyway!) this looks all wrong to me.


Holmes is cerebral. He’s quiet. He’s contemplative, and quirky, and odd, and stand-offish. Holmes in a cape and tights? It’s wrong, all wrong.


Now, I could be way off base and this could be the most fun romp of a movie ever. If you see it and it is, let me know. In the meantime, you can be sure I won’t be spending Christmas day in the movie theater. Instead, I think I’ll just curl up by the fire, an old, old copy of a Conan Doyle book in hand.

4 comments:

Angie Fox said...

I know! I thought the same thing when I saw the previews. Then my husband pointed out all the steampunk stylistic elements. And I'm a sucker for steampunk lately. So I really, really hope it's good.

We won't be there on Christmas day, but I do want to see it in the theater.

Casey said...

Let me know what you think, Angie. I don't go to the movies often, but I was SO looking forward to this one. Maybe there's hope for it yet.

PS--I, too, love Steampunk!

Lori Devoti said...

I'm not getting it either...not at all as I see Sherlock Holmes and my husband who is a huge Holmes fan is even less enthused.
I think they just wanted to make a certain kind of movie and slapped the Sherlock Holmes name on it. I kind of resent that move...not the movie, it actually looks good, but passing it off as Sherlock.

jacabur1 said...

This is Ironman in a different century, that is how I think of it anyway. I love to watch action and adventure movies as well as the next person but think I am with Casey on this one Sherlock Holmes is all about the power of using your mind and not fists. I think the fact that Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law play Holmes and Watson are another reason the movie just will not be one will see on the big screen, will watch maybe when comes out on Pay-Per-View and also dig out my old copy of Holmes story in book form to reread the actual character that fell in love with and get the images of the movies version out of my mind....

Jackie B Central Texas