Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good-bye 2009; Hello 2010!

As 2009 comes to a close, I had a realization...somewhere between then and now, I've kind of gotten lost in the shuffle. What do I mean by that? Well, 2009 was a year full of challenges; ups and downs with my family, with my two careers, and with health issues. I've been so bogged down with putting out fires that I forgot to be happy.

So instead of making New Year resolutions that I probably wouldn't keep anyway, I'm making a list of what makes me happy. Here are my top five in no particular order of importance:

1.My family and friends. My kids and grandchildren are all healthy, and although, they too have had their challenges this year, they're dealing with them. And my friends...whenever I have had issues, they've always listened. Not once have they said "Buck up little trooper and quit whining!" And they've given me good advice, not that I've always listened, but I really should've!! ;)

2.My dog. Talk about unconditional love!!! As active as she is, she really should've been adopted by a family full of kids, instead of winding up with a writer who spends a lot of time in front of a computer. But she doesn't seem to mind...she's adapted to my schedule and most of the time we live quite harmoniously!

3.My health. They say every cloud has a silver lining and my unexpected back surgery proved it. As a result of all the physical therapy I've had to do, and after years of good intentions, but never following through, I'm finally exercising. And best of all, the results are starting to show...lost weight; toning up...which inspires me to continue.

4.Hearing from readers who are enjoying Ophelia and Abby. As I've mentioned before, it's one of the most gratifying experiences in my life, and I will be forever grateful for their continued support.

5.My career as a writer. If someone would've told me eight years ago that I would write seven books and be working on an eighth, plus be lucky enough to have them published, I would've told them they were crazy!

Okay, that's my short list, there's more of course, and I plan to spend some time tomorrow thinking about it. How about you? What's made you happy in 2009???

Everyone have a great and safe New Year's Eve, and I wish you a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2010!!!

Best,
Shirley

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Happy new year :D

Casey said...

Happy New Year, Shirley! My best to you and your family...and of course, the dog!!!

Roxanne Rhoads said...

Happy New Year!