Monday, December 21, 2009

Why I Hate DRM

I don't like to be too controversial. I usually don't step into mires like this one, but I'm going to, because heck, I feel a confession coming on.

I hate DRM. I think it is pointless and it has made me miserable.

You see, I've got an old video tape I love. As a child, we used to watch the Pirates of Penzance with Kevin Klein, Linda Ronstadt, and Angela Landsbury all the time. It is awesome. I watch it again now, and I laugh at the hair, and chest hair, but it is all part of the charm.

It is a fun and whimsical rendition of the classic stage musical, and I love it. I love it because I've always loved it. And now that I'm grown, I've got a much better appreciation for Frederick's pirate booty, so to speak.

Here's the problem. This old video has not been released in a DVD form. It will probably never be released in a DVD form, because I guess the powers that be don't think there's a market. Now in order to watch my old video, I've got to drag out a crusty old VCR. And I don't want to do that, so I don't get to watch it, and I do want to watch it.

I'd love to convert the old video into a DVD so I can continue to watch it, because the powers that be won't do it for me, but it has DRM.

And so I'm stuck in Pirates limbo.

Give me the option and I'd buy a DVD version in a heartbeat, but I don't have that option, so what do I do? I don't want to just give it up, and at some point my VCR will give up the ghost, then what? Buy a new one? Where exactly? They've gone the way of the dinosaur.

The irony is, in order to watch my Pirates, I'd have to become one.

This stinks.

There has to be another way.

Jess

No comments: