Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Words, Words, Words

A couple weeks ago, I published the winners of a newspaper contest on making up new words.

And that got me thinking about how language is constantly changing and how all of us–as readers and writers–need to keep up with the latest and the greatest.

In keeping with that thought, here are the newest words that have been accepted by the new Oxford American Dictionary.

Unfriend–defined as a verb which means to remove someone as a friend a social networking site. Unfriends has been named word of the year by the New Oxford American Dictionary because, according to one senior lexicographer, "It has both current and potential longevity."

Other finalist words:

Hashtag–the hash sign added to a word or phrase that lets Twitter users search for tweety similarly tagged. (Maybe someone who knows something about Twitter can explain this one...it makes no sense to me!)

Intexticated–people who are distracted by texting while driving. Love this one! And I think each and every one of those intexticated people should be stopped, pulled out of their cars, their vehicles should be impounded and they should be charged a HUGE fee to get them back.

Sexting--sending sexually explicit pictures by cellphone. I actually knew this one, but that’s because I watch Law & Order.

Freemium--a business model in which some basic services are provided for free.

Funemployed--people who take advantage of newly unemployed status to have fun or pursue other interests.

Birthers–the conspiracy theorists challenging President Barack Obama's U.S. birth certificate.

Choice mom--a woman who chooses to be a single mother.

Deleb--a dead celebrity. Love this one, too. Says so much! And isn't it true...we hear more about them after they're gone than we ever did while they were alive, as if being dead suddenly makes them so special.

Tramp stamp--referrs to a tattoo on the lower back, usually on a woman. Oh, how true!

4 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Only knew the first two, learnt something new today

Andrea said...

I only knew three of them.
Interesting that they add such words to the dictionary.

Casey said...

Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one completely out of touch!!!

Moonsanity said...

I knew four of them. I'm not sure how I feel about this though. They still seem like "made up" words to me:)