Monday, January 4, 2010

The Marathon Novel

The day the little ones go back to school.

Ah relief. I love the kiddos, but I never seem to get anything done during the holidays. Since my copy edits were due in on the 14th, I really haven't done much on the writing front. I had my birthday, Christmas, New Year, and all that goes with it.

I feel like I've been out of the saddle for months, but really it has only been a couple of weeks.

I'm recharged and ready to go. Sometimes I'm not sure where I'm going, but I'm going to go.

It's hard to get back in the saddle after a long writing break. I have to read what I've written again, and just spend a little bit of time getting a feel for how my newest characters think again. I know there are authors who write very consistently day to day, but I have to sit, wait, then go in a burning blaze of glory once a week.

Usually that means consistent production of a chapter a week I can count on. However, I'd like to push myself. I believe I can up the pace. Writing a book is like a marathon, but at this point I'm walking it. It's time to start jogging.

So how do you keep up the energy to keep writing day in and day out?

I'm not sure yet. When I was writing at my most productive, it was when I viewed my writing as what I wanted to do for myself in the evening. I certainly enjoy writing, but I've got to really want to do it. The good thing is, after this little break, I'm feeling twitchy.

I want to write. Runners want to run.

Let's see what happens when I put my feet to the floor.

How do you stay productive?

Jess

2 comments:

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

{thoughtful look} I don't know how to increase my pace steadily. I'm enough of a hobbyist, I write when I feel like it, and not when I don't. {Smile}

However, I think you could talk to Lisa Shearin (the Raine Benares series), or at least check out her blog ( http://www.lisashearin.com/blog.cfm ). She's trying to double her writing pace so she can write two books a year instead of one. She'd like to start a second series without slowing down the one she's got. She's been bloggin about that project since late October, and so far I'm very impressed with how well she's doing. {SMILE}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken, Lisa said she'd blog about this topic tomorrow. {Smile}

I could be mistaken. It's possible that she meant she'd be blogging on goblin fencing techniques instead. {pause} That sounds interesting, too, tho less relevant. {SMILE}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin