Monday, January 25, 2010

Read? If I Must...

This year is my first year judging the Ritas,

I'm not saying anything more than I am judging, but I realized something. Lately I haven't read anything unless I had to read it. That is very sad. I love reading. Perhaps that is part of the problem. I get so sucked into books I'm reading, I don't look up.

That can be a problem with small children, a dog, two cats and a hubby underfoot. Once when I was in college, I actually ran into a pole because I tried to read and walk at the same time. Yeah, not such a good idea.

I get so absorbed in what I'm reading, my focus completely blocks out everything else. I wish I could be that way when I write, but any little thing can pull me away from my own words. I have to fight for concentration. But if I'm reading something I haven't written, I fall away into a brand new world.

I love that.

I guess I have to acknowledge that it is a bit of an addiction. I have eight books to read for the Ritas. I got them on Thursday, I think. It might have been Friday. I don't remember, because immediately my nose fell into a book, and it has been stuck there for days. I've already powered through three of them, and now my eyeballs ache. I know I won't give it a rest either, because I have to read them. I'm obligated. Lucky, lucky, me.

What is extra fun is I get to read a genre of books I haven't read in a long time. It's like coming back to a town I used to live in and seeing old friends. Old friends in kilts. Old friends in fancy ball gowns. Old friends on horseback.

It's nice to be back.

So how do I find some balance? How do I put a book down and stop thinking about it until I pick it up again? Honestly, people, how do I get some sleep?

Any advice would be helpful at this point. I'm tired.

But I'm happy.

Happy reading everyone,

Jess

4 comments:

Angie Fox said...

LOL No advice for you there. I'm in RITA book heaven as well. I read two of them over the weekend, along with one of Jim Butcher's Dresden books, just for fun. It was a good weekend. :)

Jess Granger said...

You know, I could do a whole different post on all the things that keep going through my head knowing there are ten people out there that have to read my books right now. I wonder what they're thinking.

I hope they're having as much fun as I am.

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Wanting to satisfy my curiosity enough to get to sleep got me started peeking ahead to follow particular storylines. {pause}

What can I say? Peeking ahead - whether following a story line or not - is an effective way for me to break enough tension to sleep before dawn. However, it gets enough horrified looks and protests that I'm doing something horrid that I hesitate to recommend it to anyone else. {half smile}

Karla said...

Zero advice from me as well. A few times when I've been reading, my family has had to eat toaster waffles. That's all the time away from the book I could manage. :)