Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Disney and Zombies. No, really.

Okay so Jess talks about Moby Dick yesterday and I'm going to go in a totally different direction today. Well, maybe not completely off course. See while she's talking about classic reading, I'm thinking about classic entertainment - Disney style.

Jess and I are scheduled to go to a big, official writers' conference this summer. Naturally, we'd planned to hang out together. However, we didn't plan for our midwest conference to be switched at the last minute to - get this - Disney World. Well, Orlando. But right on the Disney resort complex. At first, I wasn't quite sure what to think about that because I was all ready to be serious. Disney World was this far off concept, a place I hadn't visited since I was seven. Now we're going in a month or two.

Going on memories from that long-ago trip, I know we have to hit Pirates of the Caribbean. And of course The Haunted Mansion. Jess says the Tower of Terror is amazing. But what else?

So for all of you who have been there (or know someone or heard of something), what do you recommend we do while we're there? And to make it more fun, how about I give a signed copy of My Zombie Valentine to one lucky commenter?

16 comments:

Sarah said...

I've not been to Disney World in Orlando but I love the Paris one (we've been there for short holidays quite a few times over the years). My favorite ride is the Pirates of the Caribbean but I love the Rock & Roller Coaster which blasts Aerosmith songs through the speakers while you ride. I don't know if they have that at the Orlando one though? We also love the runnaway train which is a fun ride to go on :o)

Hope you have a fab time & take lots of pics to share when you get back!

Linda Henderson said...

I haven't been there, but isn't that where the new Harry Potter world is going to be ? My sister loved the Epcot center when she was there.

Diane P said...

I loved Epcot where I felt like I was visiting other countries. For pure fun go to the Typhoon Lagoon-it will be warm and you'll want to cool off.

Angie Fox said...

Yes, they do have the Rock & Roller Coaster in Orlando. Will have to check it out!

Angie Fox said...

They were just building Epcot the last time I was there. I just remember this big stick where the silver dome was going to go. I do want to visit the countries, but am trying to figure out which ones. We won't have time for everything. Hmmm...

SandyG265 said...

While you're there you should definitely try to have dinner in Canada. And if Off Kilter is scheduled to play on the stage next to Canada check them out. Cute guys in kilts and good music.

Zita said...

Go everywhere and do everything! Of course, you'd have to skip the conference...

Sharon said...

ooh! me, me! I've planned three trips to Disney since the kids were born (they are 14 and 9 now) and we are going again June 13-19. The Safari ride in the Animal Kingdom is just fun and cool. The Little Mermaid show at the Studio is neat. You feel like you are underwater . Fast Track at Epcot is fun, if you don't get stuck in the dark for an hour while your husband is stuck in the lobby with two unhappy kids . The fireworks in the Magic Kingdom are amazing. And the best part of all.....the fruit! I went into withdraw when I got back to NC. You can't get fruit that good around here. Okay, enough...I could go on and on...

Angie Fox said...

Ohhh...kilts! Thanks, Sandy! We're definitely going to Canada.

Angie Fox said...

LOL I know, Zita. In fact, I plan to thank the people that do show up for my workshop at the conference - beating out Disney is no small task.

Angie Fox said...

Hey, maybe men in kilts can help boost my workshop attendance. I need to talk to the men of Off Kilter.

Angie Fox said...

Fantastic, Sharon. I'm writing all of this down. And how pray tell did you get stuck in the dark for an hour? Hoping that's not part of any ride...

Katie said...

Last time I was at Disney, I went on Pirates over and over and over again...so I can't say much. :-D

Katie

Sharon said...

Fast Track is notorious for breaking down. My car was in a dark tunnel at the time. Luckily There was a mom and her two teenage daughters in my car so we talked and used our cell phones for light . It took an hour until people came and walked us out of the ride. It was pretty cool to walk backstage of one of the rides.

Jacqueline C. said...

The Tree of Life was fantastic when I went about ten years ago.

Sara M said...

I love splash mountain and space mountain. And I'd definitely go on the tea cups if they're still there. (Although I live close to Orlando, I haven't been to Disney in years...)