Monday, May 10, 2010

Thanks a Lot, Angie

Hi everyone,

I don't have too many distractions from my writing when I'm actually writing. I get distracted while writing emails, and guest blog posts, etc. Yes, I confess, I waste time on the internet.

What can I say? Everyone needs a mental break every now and then.

When I just want to sit and stare at something for a while so I can think, I hop over to the hummingbird nest cam and watch Phoebe for a bit. She just hatched a new baby named Hope, and the other egg is due to hatch any second.

On Twitter, it's the Zooborns that get me. How could I not click over to check out the painfully cute pictures they put up. Be warned, the cuteness is at near lethal levels, at least to your time.

But I've got a new internet time-suck, and it is all Angie's fault.

I'm playing Farmville.

How did I get obsessed with this stinking little game so quickly? I swear these facebook games get you in that primitive part of the brain that doesn't like to wait for anything. I have to click over just to see if anything is ready to be harvested. I anxiously await gifts from "neighbors" (I need cows, chickens, trees, and parts for my nursery BTW).

It's horrible. It's like those old science fiction stories where you look at the screen and it sucks you in until you are helpless against its power. I must plow. I need to check my chicken coop for mystery eggs. It's a compulsion.

What do you do to keep your internet time-wasters in check?

Jess

8 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I am sooo over farmville *coughs and does not mention the NEW OBSESSION social city* ;)

Evil Facebook

Sharon said...

I just don't even click on those things! But I found a new group on FB! Supernatural Underground.

(Books That Go Bump in the Night is a group of best-selling HarperCollins authors, writing Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance for adults and teens under the Avon, Eos and HarperTeen imprints. If it's immortal & lurks in the shadows, we write about it!)

Jess Granger said...

You should check out the hummingbird nest cam. It is cool, just because there is a baby in the nest that is only hours old, and the other egg could hatch at any minute.

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Farmville is a great distraction. Or at least it was until it decided not to finish loading for over a week and a half. That inspired me to switch to a game that worked. {lop-sided smile, wink}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Shirley Damsgaard said...

Oh, Jess, I feel for you!!! I am a reformed Mafia Wars addict--and I do mean addict!! I was spending HOURS playing that game! I'd wait anxiously for my energy points to go up just so I could do a "job!" (I was more into doing "jobs" to jump levels vs. killing people. However, I feel I did have a pretty impressive body count by the time I quit!! Lol!)

What finally corked it for me?? A herniated disk followed by back surgery!! After that, it made it kind of hard to sit for long periods of time. And to tell the truth, I'm not too sure that my posture during all those hours in front of the computer didn't help contribute to the eventual surgery!

So be forewarned my dear, it can not only suck your brain out, it can damage other parts of your body, too! *g*

Angie Fox said...

LOL A fellow addict! Welcome to the dark side, Jess. We have cookies.

To think you gave me that "Err...okay" look at RT when I made you wait for me to finish a Farmville harvest before I gave you my computer. :)

Shawntelle Madison said...

So since I brought Angie to the dark side does that mean its my fault Jess has joined us playing these games?

*whistles and tries to sneak away*

Jess Granger said...

I completely blame my corruption on you. Now if you guys could hook me up with some more friends, that would be great. :)