Wednesday, June 23, 2010

History is Alive in Cemeteries

Even before I started writing my Pepper Martin mystery series, I liked to hang out in cemeteries. In fact, it was in a cemetery that I got the idea for Pepper, a tour guide at a historic cemetery who solves mysteries for the ghosts there. Book #6 will be out soon, but some things never change. I still hang out in cemeteries.

I’m going to be doing just that this coming weekend, and I invite anyone in the northeast Ohio area to join me. This Sunday, June 27, is Living History at Cleveland’s Woodland Cemetery.

From 1-4 pm, you’ll have a chance to stroll the grounds of the historic cemetery and hear from guides about the interesting people who are resting there. Travel back in time and see a 1938 Packard, a 1948 Cadillac hearse, and even an antique fire truck that once carried caskets.

Learn about Civil War heroes, fire captains, a governor, and even a Gypsy king who are buried at Woodland. I’ll be there, greeting visitors and signing books. Boy, talk about a dream come true . . . books and cemeteries all in one event!

Our old cemeteries are truly museums without walls. Those of you who don’t live in the area, look around. I’ll bet you’ll find a few gems in your own hometown. And those of you who are in Cleveland, join us.
The cemetery is located at 6901 Woodland Avenue and there is a per person charge of $10 ($25 for the entire family) to help support the Woodland Cemetery Foundation.

See you there!

4 comments:

Steph said...

Cemeteries are great sites. I was involved with Tate house museum in Maine near the cemetery where the first homeowners were buried. I would have been so psyched to get the skull of the owners and have a forensic artist reconstruct the head b/c there are no surviving pictures of the family. The mother, Mary had asked her son to set a trap for someone she thought was robbing her pantry. He set a blunderbuss on a hair trigger and although she knew about it she opened the door and was killed instantly. The son was convicted but pardoned. Capt. Tate, the father, lived to be 95.

Casey said...

Great story, Steph! That's the kind of story, if we made it up, someone would tell us it couldn't happen. But truth really is stranger than fiction.

Sharon said...

every time I go past an old graveyard I think of you and Pepper . "Who would Pepper find out there to talk to?" or more likely who would find her.

陳芳 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。.................................................................