Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Ideas?


I have a new book coming out in just about three weeks. "Tomb with a View" is the sixth book in the Pepper Martin mystery series, and like all authors with a new story about to be introduced to the reading world, I’m excited. And a little nervous.


Will readers like the book? Will they buy it? (Sure, it sounds shallow, but let’s face it, publishers aren’t charities, and without the sales figures to support them, many a series has been axed.)


All this, of course, has got me thinking about what I can do to make sure readers know the book is out so they can pick it up. That’s where you come in.


You see, I’ve got a few on-line things scheduled, and as usual, I’ll be sending out an e-mail newsletter the day of the book’s release. But after that, I’m stumped. When it comes to publicity, what works? What doesn’t?


So tell me...what makes you pay attention a book? Is it on-line chatter? A display in a bookstore? Blogs? Has there been any one thing that made you sit up and notice a book, even if it was one you hadn’t heard about previously?


What can I do to get "Tomb with a View" into the hands of every reader out there?

6 comments:

Robin K said...

I watch for book recommendations on blogs, cover releases, and lists of books other readers are waiting to read.

Contests always grab attention too. Particularity if the contest involves posting the book cover and blurb on a blog just to enter.

Barbara E. said...

I read reviews and recommendations on blogs, listen to chatter about what people want to read or have read, and check out giveaways. Doing a blog tour and announcing it on Twitter seems to work well from what I've seen, it always catches my attention anyway.

Blodeuedd said...

Well this one I saw thanks for the stunning cover, that helps, reviews on blogs, I mean I need to see it somewhere cos I will certainly not see it around in my bookstore :(

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Sample chapters and helpful reviews are good. I want to know something about a book before I buy it. If I can look it over in a bookstore, great. If not, sample chapters help me decide if I like the tone and the author's voice. A helpful review - one that tells me about the book's tone, setting, characters, etc., and not just how much the reader liked it - is also good. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Casey said...

Good ideas, all. Thank you! I'm especially interested in how important blogs are to everyone. Times are a'changin'!

Sharon said...

There are so many review sites out there that focus on the paranormal. I have a few that I follow and if they mention a book then I will check it out. So I would say do lots of blog interviews (I can tell you the ones I visit) and then a free give away at the end (lots of authors will give you mulitple entries if you post it or blog about the book). Another way to get me interested is word of mouth. Get your fans to help "Pimp Your Book"! . I think I'm making a shirt that says "Yes, I pimp books" . Have us post on our websites/FB/MySpace accounts and what not.