Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Breaking the habit

I'm about to go cold turkey tomorrow and it's making me a bit nervous. See, I have this addiction. And as vices go, it's not terrible. I'm not drinking scotch with my breakfast or anything. But in the past few years, I've grown completely dependent on my laptop.

I love my little red Dell. How else can I waste loads of time on Facebook? Or get lots of writing done? Or surf the net? Don't even get me started on The Sims.

However, this week, I'm making the break. There's a big writers' conference in Orlando and the computer isn't coming. Usually, I'm on a deadline or in the middle of edits, and the computer is part of the job, but not this time. Well, not totally. Edits to Last of the Demon Slayers did arrive yesterday afternoon, but they're small - mostly little clarification things, like my editor wondering if Rae Rae the pawn broker from purgatory is a woman or a cross-dressing man (answer: man).

So I can leave the computer at home. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I can't check email for (gasp) six whole days. The world will most likely go on. Even if I develop a twitch.

This will be good. It will be freeing. Sometimes we get too used to being in touch and on top of everything. Sometimes it's good to let go and remember what life was like before we were all hooked up. The email, edits and even Rae Rae can wait.

And another fun part of this week is that writers' conferences are great places to get free books. I'll be giving away a boatload of books when I get back next Tuesday, so be sure to stop by.

2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

The computer is just pure evil, evil I say, I do fear I am hopelessly addicted too

Sharon S. said...

LOL! I went 7 days without my computer when I went to Disney in June. There are so many cool authors going to FL. Free books? I was so hoping you would say that . Can't wait to hear all about it!