Thursday, July 1, 2010

Changes

Well, I did it!! I've set the ball rolling to retire from my day job after thirty years! If all goes well, I'll walk out the door for the last time ninety days from today. And I've got to be honest…even though I'm looking forward to it, it is a little scary. What will I do with all my free time? Will I spend too much of it alone? Without the pressure of managing two careers, will my natural tendency to procrastinate come to the forefront and I'll get less done? What will my life be like? Will I be bored? This is one of the biggest changes I've ever faced!

And as such, it started me thinking about changes. We face them every day in one way or the other, yet what is it about them that cause them to be so frightening? Is it the uncertainty of not knowing the end result? Is it a case of we'd rather live with the devil we know than the one we don't…that we'd rather stay in our own little comfort zone no matter what the cost?

There have been times in my life when a change has simply forced me to regroup and approach a situation from a different angle. At other times, it's forced me to totally revamp my life and reinvent myself. And I have to admit, each one, even the ones I could've lived without, have caused some kind of growth in my life. Many have brought rewards that I'd not contemplated. And that's a good thing.
So as I prepare to sail into an unknown future, I'm trying to set my fears aside and hang on to that thought. I'm going to look at this latest change as a beginning, not an ending, and one that will bring unexpected benefits! (I hope!!!*g*) Wish me luck!!

That's it for this week!! Have a good one!

Best,
Shirley

10 comments:

Casey said...

Wow, Shirley, great news! Guaranteed, you will not be bored when you retire. You're too young, too interested in life, and too busy writing! We'll have to have a virtual party for you, but until then, raising a glass of bubbly (OK, it's early and it's actually tea) in your honor.

Zita said...

Good luck and congratulations! I'm very jealous. I've got another 20 years to go before I can retire. :heavy sigh: Listen, if you're worried about not enough stress in your life, you could always commit to producing two Ophelia and Abby books a year. No, no, don't thank me...I like giving helpful advice =)

Sharon said...

You will be so happy with this change. You will probably be busier , but in a good way. I will be at your virtual party:)

I think the whole pebble in the pond and ripple thing scares people. Sometimes when we change one thing there could be changes we didn't expect later. If you are a planner, that is a scary thought.

Congratulations!!

Barbara E. said...

Congratulations! And the best of luck, I'm sure you'll have greater success than ever.

瑞尹 said...

Quality is better than quantity.....................................................................

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your (semi?)retirement. {SMILE}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Shirley Damsgaard said...

Thanks for all the best wishes!! And Zita, you actually did hit on what I'd like to see happen in my life...writing two books a year!!! At this time, they won't be "Ophelia and Abby's", but I'd like to do one "Shirley Damsgaard" book and one "Jess McConkey" book per year. I also hope that I can do a better job at keeping up with all the other commitments involved with a writing career (such as NOT missing my Thursday post on "Something Wicked" like I did last week!) We'll see what happens...right now, I'm just looking forward to October 1st!!!

Sharon said...

oh! You'll be able to go to all the conventions!!

于庭 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

sgzimmer said...

Look out world and brace for the force of nature that is Shirley Damsgaard!! :)