Thursday, July 8, 2010

Manners Matter

Have I mentioned I have a house guest for the next month? No? Well, his name is Max and to tell the truth, he's really not a very good guest. He's up all hours of the night, talks a lot, and leaves the refrigerator door open. Plus he's been making messes all over the house, and no, he doesn't clean them up. I've been buying an inordinate amount of food to please his picky palate, and, to top it all off, he doesn't get along well with my dog, Roxy. Now least you think I'm going behind Max's back and using this blog to voice my ire over his lack of manners…don't. I've been quite vocal about Max's behavior and he's well aware of what I think. It just hasn't done any good. He ignores me no matter how many times I ask him to show some consideration. I could ask him to leave, but right now he doesn't have a place to go and I couldn't turn him out on the street.

So here's what I'm going to do-I've the next three weeks off (yay!) and I'm getting the clicker out, buying some treats, then Max and I will have a few training sessions. We'll see if me watching all those episodes of the "Dog Whisperer" has done any good. Yes, Max is a dog…belonging to my youngest daughter, Sara, and he's staying with me until she moves into her new apartment. He's a three year old Huskey, looks mean because of his markings, but is actually just a big goofball. (It was Roxy who, much to his delight, showed him how to open the fridge with his nose. And to be honest, most of the conflict between them is her fault. She's not exactly digging sharing her human or her territory with an intruder and she plays the "alpha female" whenever she gets the chance. Sara thinks Roxy will miss Max when she takes him to her new apartment next month, but I'm thinking not so much! *g*) I'll let you know in a month if Max learns any manners!

Oh, one last thing I forgot to mention about Max, and I don't think any amount of training is going to correct this habit-he likes paper. Specifically money-dollars, tens, twenties-he's not picky about the denomination, as long as it crinkles, he loves to eat it! And he's sneaky about it. If anyone leaves a billfold or purse lying about, he's on it. Somehow he manages to root out the money without disturbing any of the other contents then proceeds to have a gay ole' time shredding, chewing, and swallowing. Lucky for me I've learned that banks will replace ripped up money as long as one has at least 50% of the torn bill. (Lucky for Max, too!)

That's it for this week-have a good one and see you next Thursday!

Best,
Shirley

7 comments:

Casey said...

Ah, Shirley...my daughter's dog (and my daughter) came to stay with us "just until..." too. That was nearly a year ago. And I just spent a sprightly few minutes chasing her Scotty through the woods. How the damn dog managed to get off his chain, I don't know.

Sharon S. said...

heehee. My husband and I got a Siberian, Drake, when we first got married. I wish someone had told me about that breed beforehand! . Luckily you don't have Max while he is blowing his coat! I never knew so much hair could come from one animal, everyday! We trained him, he got his CD and tons of agility titles, but I fought with that dog everyday over who was in charge. Did I mention I hated that dog . You are a good mom. We now have a Cocker that is the perfect family dog, but she too likes money. She ate $28 a few months ago. I was able to piece back together $24 of it. I wasn't going after the rest . Freaking dogs...couldn't live without one though:), except Drake.

Barbara E. said...

Good luck, sounds like quite a challenge!

陳登陽 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

Jes said...

Reminds me of the Ophelia and Abby series. He's like Tink's dog, T.P, only with better taste in paper. :p

JasonBirk佳琪 said...

好的開始並不代表會成功,壞的開始並不代表是失敗............................................................

吳婷婷 said...

感謝您寫下您的生活,也是把珍寶來和諸君分享的心意。 ............................................................