Monday, July 19, 2010

Who's on First?

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to be back after my epic trip to California. I had a great time, but it is good to be home and back in the saddle.

Back when I was in college, I took some courses in evolution and a lot of courses in biology. I also took some classes in archeology and anthropology. One thing that struck me in both studies is that you have to be able to adapt to survive. That is true for all things, animals to civilizations.

I guess it's true for me too.

For those who know me, you know I'm not a big fan of first person point-of-view. I don't know why that is. Some of my favorite books were written in first person. I loved To Kill a Mocking Bird and Frankenstein. But I've rarely come across romances written in first that I really enjoyed. (I enjoy Angie's, but I hold her to a very strict standard as her critique partner.)

I never thought I'd write anything in first person point-of-view. Well, never say never. I have a Young Adult project I love. The story is so cool, I want to write it purely so I can live the adventure. I wrote out the first three chapters and they were... okay.

Something just wasn't clicking. I didn't have the voice right. Well, yesterday while pacing on the path in front of my new little butterfly garden, a habit I've taken to recently, I started hearing narration in my head.

I've never had a narrator take over my mind and just talk to me. The thing I was taken with was how much direct information and thought this character could suddenly convey as soon as I just let her talk. She went from a character I didn't know really well, to one that felt real to me.

This is so outside my normal box, my head is spinning, but I like it.

I still don't think I could use first person for romance, but for this project it seems to work.

The willow bends, it seems.

Have a great week, everyone!

Jess

5 comments:

Sharon S. said...

I have never thought about POV while reading a book. I don't care how the author draws me into their world, just that they do. I find it fascinating how a writer develops a character. The cool thing about being a writer is when you hear voices in your head, you embrace them and write. When the rest of us hear voices we get worried . Good luck with your new project!:)

Angie Fox said...

Ha! I knew we'd bring you over to the dark side. It was just a matter of time.

Seriously, though, I'm with Sharon. I don't worry how an author tells me the story as long as he/she draws me in.

Here's to hearing voices. :)

Casey said...

Have fun with it, Jess. After writing many books, my Pepper Martin mysteries were the first I tried in first person. An immediate aha moment! Getting inside their heads and speaking with their voices and knowing their thoughts...it really does bring characters to life. Enjoy!

林彥以林彥以 said...

耐心是一株很苦的植物,但果實卻很甜美。..................................................

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

I love finding the last key to making a story come alive. If a first-person narrator does the trick, she's very welcome! {SMILE}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin