Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Wanderlust

I know it's the time of year where everyone seems to be buckling down and starting school and thinking of things to do. Maybe I'm just being contrary, but I can't stop thinking about taking a vacation. It's not for lack of going anywhere. Our family took a fun trip this summer and I've also gotten to head out of town for a few writers' conferences and speaking trips. So why the urge to flee the homestead? Who knows? Sometimes you just have to wander, I suppose.

Like Yahoo had this great article up today on the 10 Best Lighthouses to Sleep In. My favorite is the Pidgeon Point, where they have a hot tub at the top of the light house. How cool is that? And you know some of these old places have to be haunted, which makes it even better.

Or what about the IceHotel in Sweden? This is the place that they carve out every year. Finally an excuse when my husband says my feet are cold at night. Well, duh. We're in a hotel made of solid ice. Go find something else to complain about.

I've got to think there's something neat even closer for those of us in the middle of the U.S. Like somewhere along Route 66. I don't know. I was distracted by visions of Sedona. I've always wanted to go there too.

What's your favorite vacation spot? (real or in your pipe dream fantasies) One lucky commenter gets a signed copy of A Tale of Two Demon Slayers or a Kiss My Asphalt t-shirt. Winner's choice!

11 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

That ice hotel just makes me...no, I'd be too afraid that it would fall down on me.

Dream, oh dream, some nice island with a white sand beach and turquoise sea. And it would just be me and my cutie

Linda Henderson said...

I don't know that it would be a particular spot, but I would love to travel up and down the Eastern seaboard to see as many lighthouses as I could. I have a thing for lighthouses. I've never seen one in person, but I have a lot of postcards of them. Everyone that knows me knows if they go somewhere that has a lighthouse, they bring me back a card. To me that would be a wonderful vacation. My sister lives on old Route 66 in Kansas.

Jackie Uhrmacher said...

Italy. It's always been Italy. I know, so cliched, but it's true. I love the language (can actually speak it, lol) and the architecture. I'd get lost in a piazza and be found again! hehe

Angie Fox said...

Did you know that they re-build that ice hotel every year? So cool. I just wish I lived closer to Sweden.

Nice on the white sand beach, Blodeuedd. I could go for that too.

Angie Fox said...

You know, Linda, I've never been in a lighthouse, either. It would be really neat to see one up close. I've only seen them from the road in New England.

Angie Fox said...

Ah, Italy. Thanks for that, Jackie. Now I can go fiddle online looking at Italy.

I went there right out of college with my friend, Aileen. We did the backpack version (living in hostels and eating off street vendors) and it was fantastic.

Although she'd tell you about us leaving the country where we had only about 50 cents worth of Lira and no way to get more (you had to do exchanges in amounts of at least $50 and neither of us wanted to throw that kind of money around).

We ended up getting in an argument over whether to spend our last money on a postage stamp for her or a Diet Coke that we could drink for the five hours until the train to Germany showed up. We couldn't afford both and we had to pool our last Lira to get even one of those things.

I finally gave her my last bit of Lira so she could get a stamp. Am I a good friend or what? And, yes, 18 years later, I still remind her of it.

Sharon S. said...

I love the mountains. I have never seen the Rockies, so I would go there. Then anywhere ancient. I love history/museums.

We are planning a trip to Yellowstone/Jackson Hole next year. Never been west of the Mississippi. Can't wait. (want the shirt...my precious...)

Angie Fox said...

Oh yes, I'd love to see Yellowstone. It would also be neat to make it out west and see some of the ghost towns.

Jes said...

I would either like to go to "The Wave" Arizona or to Pamukkale, Turkey. The Wave looks crazy amazing (I saw it compared to "a humongous vat of cinnamon taffy!" - yeah!) and Pamukkale looks so beautiful- like an ice paradise in the desert with hot springs!

Angie Fox said...

No kidding? How cool, Jes. I've never heard of either one of these places. Going to go look them up...

SandyG265 said...

I like to go to Longwood Gardens in PA. They are always changing the plantings so it is different every time we go.