Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A week in the life

We talk a lot about books here, and events, but what about the day-to-day life of an author? What do we do when we don't have a new release or a signing? Well this past week or so, I kept a diary.

Monday: Buckle down to work. Edits to Last of the Demon Slayers are due on Wednesday. Two of my beta readers have read the book over the weekend and given me their feedback. I thought about it this weekend and decided to twist the ending in a slightly different way. Call up Jess Granger to talk it over with her and she agrees. Actually, her exact words are, "Stop tweaking and get the (**& book out." But she says it with much love and affection. She also reminds me of a novella I have due at the end of the month. Yea, yeah. I like the new novel ending too.

Tuesday: Write part of a chapter of the novella in the morning. Pick up my son at pre-school and take him for McDonalds so that I can edit Last of the Demon Slayers at McDonald's Play Land. Vow to order the grilled chicken salad. Order the Big Mac meal instead. I need the calories in order to do a better job on Last of the Demon Slayers. Call Jess on the way home and tell her about some of the tweaks I made. She tells me to turn in the book already.

Wednesday: Read over final edits to Last of the Demon Slayers. Get a voicemail from Jess telling me to stop messing with the book. Ignore her and continue fiddling. Turn the book in to my editor at around 2:00 p.m. The house is quiet so I sneak upstairs to the purple couch and start editing the part of the novella I wrote Tuesday morning.

Thursday: Intensive writing day where I focus exclusively on the novella and am rewarded with a surprise character who ends up being completely different that I'd imagined. Excited because I like this character a lot more than I thought. Decide to give her a bigger role. Of course this changes the ending of the book, but I like that better too.

Friday: Pack up and drive down to the Ozark Writer's League conference. I'm a guest speaker and it's about a five hour drive (counting potty breaks and Diet Coke stops - those two always go together). Make it down there at 5:15 p.m. after getting lost in Branson so many times that the hotel desk clerk and I have become phone buddies. Said hotel clerk informs me that the reception is starting a half hour earlier than I have on my schedule and therefore, I'm late. Toss everything into the hotel room, which turns out to be a really cool looking suite. Vow to go buy bubble bath for the ginormous tub in-room tub that looks more like a mini swimming pool.

Friday p.m.: Return to the suite, tired yet happy, with plans for the tub. End up writing instead. I had an idea in the car on the ride down and swore to myself I was just going to write it out before I lost it, but before I know it, it's midnight and I'm due up at 6:00 a.m.

Saturday 6:00 a.m.: Wonder why on Earth I agreed to get up at 6:00 a.m. Get over that in the shower. Meet everyone for breakfast and the conference. The Ozark Writers League members are amazing. I love it when I get to speak to such a talented group. The energy is palpable and I want to do everything I can to help them fine-tune their writing. I do my workshop on Plotting the Novel and do a signing afterward.

Sunday: Goof off with the family and finish Justin Cronin's book, The Passage. Great book.

Monday: Get back into the novella. Edit everything I have so far and run it off. I'm one of those people who has to see it in print. Plus, reading it straight through gives me a zing and the momentum to barrel straight through to the end.

Tuesday: Prepare to read the novella and get zing-y. But first, the blog...

7 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Editing, Cronin and a big mac, sounds like a good and productive week :)

Sharon S. said...

OMG, I had to take a deep breath after reading that! Go, go, go and then go some more . Thanks for the insight.

Angie Fox said...

The Cronin part was stellar. I really like his latest book.

Angie Fox said...

LOL Sharon S. Glad I sound busy. Sometimes it's hard to convince people I'm working when I spend a good part of that writing time staring at my computer (or out the window). ;)

Moonsanity said...

Wow and I was impressed with myself for sending out 3 mini interviews this weekend... BAHAHAHAHA I really need my kids to go back to school. I have bonded with them enough for one summer. They are 17, 16 and 10-- we have had so much together time that I have had a hard keeping up with work stuff:)

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Vi Thompson, my first writing mentor outside the family, used to say it takes two people to write a book: one to write it, and the other to hit them over the head with a mallet when they're done. {Amused Smile}

I don't know that she came up with that one, but I don't know who to credit beyond her. {Smile}

The weekend sounds really neat. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Angie Fox said...

You know, the one thing I never planned on as a writer (and I think it just never occurred to me) was writing two things at once. So far, no biker witches are popping up in the werewolf novella, but then again, that was yesterday. ;)