Thursday, September 30, 2010

In Every Ending...

In a little over twenty-four hours, I shall be joining the happy ranks of the retired!! After thirty years with the United States Postal Service, the day has finally arrived. And to be truthful, it's all a bit mind boggling. Among other things, I've handled millions of pieces of mail; sold God knows how many stamps; and done enough paperwork to fill a ton of books. Now I'm done. What's it going to be like to get up next Monday morning and not put on my spiffy uniform and go to work?

I honestly don't know. I do know that there will be a certain amount of sadness walking out that door tomorrow for the last time. I'm ending a major portion of my life and saying good-bye to those I've worked with for a number of years. And there are all those unknowns staring me in the face. Will I get bored staying at home? How is this reduction in income going to work out? Since I won't be operating on such a tight schedule all the time, will my natural tendency to procrastinate be a problem? (no more excuses for not having a clean house!) And God forbid, what if I become a hermit???? *g*

But in every ending, there's a beginning.

There are more books to write, workshops to prepare (first one--a freebie for junior high/high school students concerning story construction), conferences to attend, maybe a couple of adult education classes to take, and family and friends to spend time with. It's going to be nice planning the things that I want to do without worrying about taking time off from work. And it's going to be really nice to be in a position where I don't have to balance two careers.

It's funny-my horoscope for today said that it's time to let go of the past, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm ready to get on with it. Let go of the past and sail off into the future…it might be on a wing and a prayer…but I'm sailing off none the less!

Wish me luck!!

See you next week,
Shirley

5 comments:

Moonsanity said...

You are going to have so much fun...I can just tell from the things you have planned:) Congrats on retiring!

Sharon S. said...

Don't worry. You will find lots to do with your time. You can read more, teach, write, nap!!!! Best of luck and Congratulations. <3 Will pop the virtual bubbly for you tonight.

Diane P said...

I retired in June from 36 years of teaching & I panicked in August. I was supposed to be working. Eventually I came to the conclusion that this is one more step along my life's journey.
Is my house cleaner-sometimes, am I less stressed-all the time. Plus we got a new puppy. I still haven't read my TBR pile down very much. I look at this as an opportunity to do the things I couldn't do before. Good luck.

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

I hope you enjoy retirement as much as my parents have so far. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Casey said...

My retired friends are the busiest people I know. No way you'll be bored, Shirley. Congratulations, both on a job well done and on new beginnings!