Monday, September 13, 2010

Something Wicked Welcomes Ashlyn Chase

Something Wicked would like to welcome Ashlyn Chase, author of funny paranormals (and you know I'm partial to those, right?) Glad to have you here, Ashlyn.

Often in interviews, I'm asked where I come up with my ideas? I'm sure I'm not the only author who is asked that question, but since my romantic comedies betray some pretty wackadoodle ideas I've had, I may get more than some.

Heaving Bosoms. Sounds like words from a bodice ripper romance from the seventies, right? Well, with my irreverent tongue firmly planted in my cheek, I thought, wouldn't that make a wonderful title for a romantic comedy? Oh yes. I must remember that one. So I tucked it away in my idea file.

Now I should let you know that my idea file is only for me. Therefore, I can put my most bizarre ideas in there without editing myself. Sometimes I go back and shake my head at something I had thought was brilliant at the time and hit the “poof” button (what I call delete,) before I make anyone else groan. Usually, I let the title or idea sit in my folder. God forbid I drop dead someday and my relatives find that folder!

But the reason I keep it is because, inevitably the day will come when I need an idea prompt and will check my folder. Of course sometimes I don’t even need to open it. Simply because I performed the act of writing up an idea, some opportunity will present itself and I’ll remember, “Ah-HA! I have something in my folder that would be perfect for that!

For instance, my dear friend and fellow writer Dalton went to her town Founder's Day Fair one fine summer day. She and her friend were simply walking along and chatting when Liana suddenly disappeared from view! She had stepped into a hole and twisted her ankle. Much to her chagrin, the EMT's kicked the local kids off the ambulance on display, and carted her off to the hospital. Thank goodness it was only a sprain.

In the retelling of this story, another writer commented something like this, “If you weren’t so top-heavy, you would have stayed upright instead of falling over and then the hunky EMTs wouldn’t have had to show up.” My funny title sprang to mind and the rest is history—or at least a contemporary romantic comedy that opened the door to my wonderful erotic romance publisher Ellora’s Cave. The book Strange Neighbors started with a title too and introduced me to my mainstream, mass market publisher Sourcebooks. That deal helped me land a NY agent.

I whole-heartedly recommend keeping an ideas folder. It’s worth the risk of posthumous embarrassment. Of course, I may not have to worry since anyone who reads my books knows I think “differently.” Consider the fact that I wrote a sequel to Heaving Bosoms called Quivering Thighs. Also, Being Randy, Wonder Witch, Demolishing Mr. Perfect, Love Cuffs, Vampire Vintage, Djinn and Tonic, Death by Delilah, Giggles by Gabby and Dear Sexy Lexie. My most recent release was Strokes.

See my website for summaries of these wildly titled stories.

Oh, and how do I answer that question when I’m asked in interviews, “Where do your funny original ideas come from?” I blame it on Thalia, the muse of comedy.

13 comments:

SandyG265 said...

Hi,

I enjoyed Strange Neighbors.

Ashlyn Chase said...

Thank you, Sandy!

It was great fun to write. I have two more coming. The Werewolf upstairs (starring Konrad and Roz) comes out Feb 2011. I just finished The Vampire Next door (Sly and one of the witches) and will turn it in soon. For once, I'm ahead of schedule!

Ash

Claudia said...

I firmly believe in jotting down thoughts and ideas no matter how strange or silly. I have a 'what if' folder.

Ashlyn Chase said...

I like that you call it 'what if?' Claudia. That's often how I plot.

"Okay, I have these characters in this setting...now what if this happens?"

Ash

Christine H said...

Hi Ash, I think it's smart to have that folder. I think with all the crazy thoughts floating in your head you'd need a way to file them. lol

Keep up the great writing!!

Hugs, Christine

Christine Young said...

So, you had me chuckling through the entire blog. I write and I envy those who are funny. My books are mostly serious. Once in a long while someone will say that I gave them a chuckle. Your titles are fantastic. Do you have your own blog? Check out the Rogue's Angels blog sometime @ http://roguesangels.blogspot.com/
Christine Young also known as Allana Angel

Ashlyn Chase said...

Hi Christine H! (waving)

And greeting Christine Y. I'm off to check out your blog now. I do have my own blog but it's boring as hell. LOL. It's just updates on my books, career news and where I'll be when, and that's about it.

Ashlyn Chase said...

Well, I have to go our grocery shopping for a bit. I'll check back later this afternoon.

Ash

Nina Pierce said...

Ash,
Nothing about how you get ideas surprises me. You're a whacky kinda gal! *vbg*

EmilyBryan said...

You know I love your tongue in cheek humor, girl! And your incredible imagination.

Ashlyn Chase said...

Thanks Nina and Emily!

It's wonderful when friends show up to support you. (grins)

Ash

Celtic Chick said...

Hi Ashlyn,

I love the titles of your books. I wish I had a sense of humor like that. I'm much too serious for my own good. I enjoyed reading about how you come up with your ideas.

Ashlyn Chase said...

Thanks Celtic Chick,

I like your user name. Who says you're too serious? LOL

Ash