Monday, September 27, 2010

Something Wicked welcomes Linda Thomas-Sundstrom

Hi everyone. Glad to be here at Wicked Authors today, since I'm feeling a little wicked, myself, being immersed in writing my latest vampire novel for Silhouette Nocturne. Sometimes, I swear, I can feel the fangs drop...
As for the title of this blog, I have to tell you that my life has been loaded with paranormal happenings and inspirations of an unusual sort. So, before I get into that, I'll tell you all a wee bit about me as an author so you know who's who.
I'm Linda Thomas-Sundstrom, and everything I write, or have ever written, falls in the "paranormal" category. Paranormal should be my middle name.
I write for Kensington, Dorchester, and Nocturne. My first vampire story was in the Immortal Bad Boys anthology, alongside Rebecca York. Dark historical vampire fare for me. That book has been re-released this month in a mass market sized paperback. Yay. Then I wrote a girly, fluffy, goofy werewolf book for the American Title 3 contest, that was published last year by Dorchester - called "Barbie and the Beast." Dedicated to the art of paranormal dating. Ha.
Since then, I've been writing dark contemporary werewolves and vampires for Silhouette's Nocturne imprint. I'm working on my ninth project for them - first with a "Wolf Moons" series, and now a "Vampire Moons" series, and I'm having the time of my life.
Writing paranormal tales is pure bliss. So, where does this love of the paranormal come from? Answer: Genes.
It's the only explanation.
I wrote and illustrated my first paranormal novel at the age of eight, and I still have that book. Back then, it was Leprechauns, Silkies, and Fairies. See what I mean?
My family had "Scary Tales Night" by the fireplace on weekends, where my folks told us strange things, and we had to make up our own tales to contribute. We watched old black and white horror movies with pillows in our hands, so that we could cover up our faces during really scary parts. We traveled by car great distances to visit relatives in the summertime, and sometimes drove all night to get there... across the deserts of the west. To make the drive not seem like a drive, my dad would tell us stories about old Route 66, phantom lights, and diners that burned down, but refused to die.
My first book came out of those old tales my dad told, and titled "Café Heaven - An Autobiography of the Afterlife" - about guess what? A diner that refuses to die. It's dedicated to my dad, who had passed away. But I will swear to you right now, (and maybe you have to have had some sort of experience like this yourself), that my dad whispered this story to me from the Great Beyond. Therefore, it's the book of my heart, and of my lifetime.
Getting weepy here, sorry.
Moving on...
After college, I became a teacher. But in the summer breaks, I was a private tour guide in Britain. I spent a lot of time there, taking people around to megalithic sites that make the crowds at Stonehenge seem like English Disneyland. I sought out British dowsers and non-fiction authors, and traveled with them to the unknown places. I studied stone circles at night with scientists who were monitoring them for "unusual activity." Trust me on this: there is no site over there that doesn't have some sort of activity going on, spooky or otherwise! Been there!
Did I mention that I see dead people?
You can see, then, that it was a short leap to writing gothics... vampires and werewolves, and other things that go bump in the night. It's just a continuation of my love for that certain something, the special atmosphere that eludes capture, and is viewed only out of the corner of your eye.
I can create those sorts of worlds as I see them when I write. Fiction, specifically paranormal romance and urban fantasy, make me feel right at home.
I'm still a teacher in the day gig. I write under tight deadlines for Nocturne, so my imagination can take flight at the end of the day, and I feel... well... at the same time both free and connected. The paranormal world is my world. I didn't just jump onto a fad bandwagon. I live it, and always have. So, I do hope you've tried, or will try out my books for size, and come along on my ride. Share the love of the extra-normal.
I'll be waiting to hear from you now, checking for comments between my classes, and yearning for a connection with you.
Because I wonder what brings you to the paranormal ??? Keeps you reading / writing / watching those TV shows?
Cheers for now -
Linda
www.lindathomas-sundstrom.com

21 comments:

Angie Fox said...

Thanks for stopping by, Linda! It's always fascinating to me how different writers write.

Blodeuedd said...

I, I have no idea. I have always just liked it. When I was little I fell asleep listening to my fav tape, Greek Gods and Myths. And from mythology I went into the paranormal.
It also helped that I loved fantasy

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

Thanks for the welcome, Angie. This is a terrific site!
Linda

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

Blodeudd... well from your moniker alone, I'll bet I know some ancient British sites you'd love.
Are you born again Medieval, by any chance?

xo
Linda

Sharon S. said...

Looks interesting! :) I like paranormal stories because the characters are usually kick-butt and I like stories of good vs. evil.

Will add you to my TBR list!

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

Thanks, Sharon. Yes, I believe in kick-butt females, and good v evil. I mean, really! All those movies where the female trips and falls, and has to be helped up by the MAN.
My "RED WOLF" Nocturne is, I believe, sold out now... but the heroine is a wolf- and very ... um... capable!
As is Barbie in my goofy "Barbie and the Beast book," though in a completely different way.

We are strong. We are Woman!
(How did that song go?)

La-l-l-l-a-lalala.
Linda

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

*** A Comment from ANN - posted to my website since she couldn't post here.

Hello my Friend! I just love your books and can't wait for the new one to come out at my local bookstore. Cheers, Ann

Pamela K. Kinney said...

I'd had experiences with the paranormal all my life (a family thing), plus read and watched horror. Then I got published writing horror ans later under a pseudonym, erotic paranormal romance. Now, I also have publsiehd nonfiction ghost books.

Sharon Hamilton said...

Great post. Enjoyed hearing about your journey. What wonderful parents to instill the magic and mystery of story. And of course your Dad would whisper to you from the Afterlife. Now he's all around you.
As someone said before, you're on my TBR list. I'll have to come back another lifetime to get all my list read, but I don't care.
Thanks for telling your story.

JeanneD said...

Hey Linda! You were born to be paranormal! I always wanted to have some super powers like Sam on Bewitched so I could wiggle my nose and the house work would be done. Oh well.... And I like the show BEING HUMAN although I'm disappointed it so 'horror' driven toward the end. I hope they bring back more of the 'human' humor. On the light side, a guilty pleasure, but I'll still watch Bewitched reruns! Love your books!

JeanneD said...

Hey Linda! You were born to be paranormal! I always wanted to have some super powers like Sam on Bewitched so I could wiggle my nose and the house work would be done. Oh well.... And I like the show BEING HUMAN although I'm disappointed it so 'horror' driven toward the end. I hope they bring back more of the 'human' humor. On the light side, a guilty pleasure, but I'll still watch Bewitched reruns! Love your books!

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

Wow - a double double message from Jeanne D. Must be magic!

Thanks Jeanne and Sharon. I'd love to be in your TBR pile. Speaking of which... my TBR piles are shoulder-high now. What to do? I really don't wish for more hours in a day because I'd probably just fill them up. Paranormal AND Type A. What a way to go...

xo
Linda

JeanneD said...

And one more thing...LOVE THE COVER of your new book. He could take a bite out me any time!

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

SHARON !!! Ghost books? Shall I mention the ghost who stopped by our room in Hawaii last year? Just there and gone in a blink. Maybe she didn't know I paid attention? When I asked the hotel staff about her, and described her... they were freaked, and seemed to know who the woman was. A frequent visitor who had... passed the pearly gates a few months before. Maybe, like me, she loved Hawaii and decided to take a last look?

So interesting. Thanks for the note.
xo
Linda

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

BIG WHOOPS - that last comment about ghosts was for PAMELA!!!! Duh. Sorry.
Students are calling from my doorway.

xo
Linda

Linda Wisdom said...

Great post, Linda!

You know me. Creatures that go bump in the night have always been in my life and it was a given I'd work my way into the dark side. After all, they have cookies. :}

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

Dear Linda Wisdom... cookies and the supernatural go hand in hand, I agree. Toss out crumbs during a full moon phase, and see what follows you home. EEK!

xo
Linda

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

I must have left the addy out of my promo email! EEK. This one was on my website also, from TAMI:

Love the new cover. It's very, hmm what's the word? Yummy just doesn't quite sum it up. I'll let you know when I think of a better one.

Tami

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

Or maybe some folks aren't on Google blogger? Here's another one sent o my website today:

FROM BABETTE
Congrats on all those Vampire "bites " !! You are unstoppable...perhaps a little "immortality" flowing in your veins ??? xo Babette

Linda Thomas-Sundstrom said...

Nitey-nite, all. It's been wicked.

xo
Linda

Lisa Kessler said...

Sorry I'm late!!! *hanging head in shame*

LOVE the new cover Linda!!!

I've always been drawn to paranormal too. My first book I wrote and illustrated in 6th grade was "The Wonders of Unicorn Creek" I still have it! THe school bound it for me! LOL

I think paranormal chose me more than the other way around. As a kid, I had an over-active SCARY imagination! Yikes!

So I cut my writer teeth on horror and eventually realized paranormal romance and urban fantasy had lots of the life and death and mosters that I loved, along with steamy love scenes! Yow!

I've been sold ever since... LOL

Great blog!

Lisa :)