Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tongue in cheek

I don't know about you, but occasionally I'll begin to say something, but can't recall the exact term or word I want to use. I know the word-I know I know the word-it's flickering just beyond my consciousness. I can even remember the times I've used the word and in what context. I'll have the word on the tip of my tongue as they say, only to have it evaporate like spit on a hot sidewalk when I try and say it. Needless to say, this drives me nuts!!! I hate not remembering things! And if the word doesn't suddenly bob to the surface of my mind in a short time, I'll go searching for it.

Well, it happened to me this week. I was having a conversation about the emotional side effects of spending too much time alone and wanted to use the word that describes being afraid to leave your home. I knew it was a "phobia" (agoraphobia), but I couldn't remember the entire word. So I went looking for it at the first available opportunity and wound up on some very interesting websites listing phobias.

Jeez-I didn't know there were so many of them!

And let me preface my next remarks by stating that I do understand that a phobia is no laughing matter to someone who suffers from it. It can be debilitating and seriously impacts their lives. But come on…how does one develop the following fears????

Levophobia- Fear of objects to the left side of the body

Dextrophobia- Fear of objects at the right side of the body (think about this-if one person who suffered from levophobia were standing next to someone who had dextrophobia, they'd both be scared of each other!)

Genuphobia- Fear of knees

Geniophobia- Fear of chins (I wonder if these two phobias include your own knees and chin or only those of others? Personally, the only fear I have about my chin and knees is that eventually they're going to sag!! Which brings me around to the next one.)

Barophobia - Fear of gravity

Another fear of nature… Auroraphobia- Fear of Northern Lights

Octophobia- Fear of the number 8 (Okay, I can understand why people might be phobic about the number 13 due to all its superstitious connotations, but 8??? Why 8? No one seems to be worried about 9, 6, or 7.)

Here's a few more:
Cathisophobia- Fear of sitting

Linonophobia- Fear of string

Metrophobia- Fear of poetry

Ophthalmophobia- Fear of opening one's eyes

Mageirocophobia - Fear of cooking (Dang, I wish I would've known about this one!! There have been times when it would've made a great excuse!! "Sorry, but we have to eat out tonight, my mageirocophobia is flaring up again." )

Papyrophobia- Fear of paper

Gamophobia - Fear of marriage (I've met a few single men who suffer from this!)

Phobophobia - Fear of phobias (This one sounds a little redundant, doesn't it???)

And here's my favorite:

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words (One of the longest words ever to describe the fear of long words-is that irony, or what? If someone truly suffered from this, they wouldn't be able to tell anyone about it-they'd be too scared to say the word!)

Oh, and by the way, I learned something else by visiting these websites…I suffer from lethophobia-the fear of forgetfulness! *g*

That's it for this week!! See you next Thursday!

Best,
Shirley

4 comments:

Zita said...

You know what, I get Octophobia, because spiders and octopi have 8 limbs. VERY SCARY!!!

This is alos why the internet is so dangerous. You go there innocently looking for ONE WORD and then the next thing you know you've been sitting there for 10 hours and your legs are asleep but you have to get up to go to the bathroom and you end up dragging yourself down the hall so you don't p** yourself, which is just embarrassing...or maybe that's just me =)

Sharon S. said...

I think someone just sits around and makes these things up . Fear of Knees, really? and the fear of long words being the longest word around, coincidence? I think not!

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

I hadn't thought of spiders' legs, but I did think of the eight ball. It has a pretty bad reputation, too. {smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Jes said...

Omg! I approve of this post on so many different levels! It makes me feel better that I have a more normal phobia- dead people. Wow