Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Who's Got the Button?


That drip, drip, drip sound you’re hearing is my sinuses. I’ve got a summer cold, and this one is a humdinger. In between the sniffing and wiping and the coughing, I’m trying to finish a book. Keep your fingers crossed, looks like today might be the day for that!

As I’m racing toward "The End," it occurred to me that I haven’t even mentioned this mystery series here on the blog. It’s a brand new mystery series and the first book will be out in September 2011. My hook?

Vintage buttons.

Oh yeah, I said buttons. You see, I love old buttons. As Josie Giancola, the heroine of the new series, explains at one point, buttons are tiny pieces of art, and chunks of history. Through the years, buttons have been used to denote status (the more buttons on your clothes, the more well off you were), to show who had your heart (women once had photos of their sweeties put on their buttons) or just to make a fashion statement.

They can be utilitarian or flashy. Practical or flamboyant. They can be put out by the thousands by factories or handmade, one by one, by artists.

The book I’m finished now (tentatively titled "Button Holed") is the first of a three-book contract. I’m having fun with it. My only challenge now: to get the rest of the book buttoned up.

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Good luck. {Smile}

My mother insists that every woman needs a button collection. She has one, as did her mother, her mother-in-law... and me. However, all of them are very practical button collections. We get them primarily by slavaging buttons off clothes that are ready for the rag bag. We like to use them to make or dress up new clothes that are "missing something." {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Casey said...

And I bet you have some treasures in with your "regular" buttons, Anne Elizabeth. The styles of buttons are amazing. So many interesting varieties!

Sharon S. said...

I hate having to walk by the button isle at the fabric store with my kids. They are drawn to it. So many pretties! Looking forward to reading your new series. Will it be out in 2011?

Casey said...

Yes, Sharon. September 2011 and as far as I know, under the Casey Daniels name.

Lisa said...

I’ve tried all sorts of coughing syrups, believe me, but none of them helps. Even though Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm does not eliminates the cough I like to stick to this chinese syrup I’ve been taking since I was a kid: Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa. My grandfather is chinese, so I guess my mom got the advice from him. I was really surprised when I found that chinese market selling it here in Belgium. It does have a refreshing, soothing, sweetening effect…as long as it lasts…then back to coughing mode.