Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Wednesday? No Way!

What is it about Wednesdays?

Suddenly, they’re sneaking up on me. Once again this morning, I was blithely sitting at my computer, minding my own business (OK, so I was really doing the USA Today crossword, but that counts, doesn’t it?) when it hit me–

It’s Wednesday.

And I need to blog.

I blame this lack of focus wholly and completely on the fact that I am currently outlining a book. It’s Pepper Martin mystery #8, and it sorely needs a title and a whole bunch more chapters. Until those things fall into place, my brain is literally somewhere else.

I’m juggling possibilities and impossibilities. Considering options. Having aha moments that are so brilliant, I can’t stand it–and discarding them in an instant when I realize the ideas I've thought of just will not work.

So far, I’ve punched and slapped and fought my way through seven chapters. They are good and solid. They are fun and interesting. Now to figure out where to take the story next.

Better get to it. See you next Wednesday.

It will be here before I know it.

9 comments:

Angie Fox said...

I hear you. When you're a writing, the days can flow together. But I have to also tell you I was talking to a friend on Goodreads a few days ago and she told me I *must* read the Pepper Martin books because they are so good and they're written by this brilliant author, Casey Daniels and... Made me smile to say that I already knew you. And yes, your books are all that and a box of crackers. Have fun plotting!

Casey said...

And you made my day, Angie, with that comment from your friend. Thank you! As writers know all too well, it's easy to lose heart. Comments like that from readers bring us back from that oh-so-black brink where we spend too much time!

Sharon S. said...

Maybe by the time you finish the book a title will come to you. When do you usually think up a title?

Casey said...

As far as titles, it all depends, Sharon. Sometimes they come to me full tilt out of nowhere. This one's dragging its heels! I'd like to find one before I begin the actual writing just because having a title gives form to the book in my mind.

All suggestions welcome! Pepper will be visiting the glorious (or not!) Southwest.

Sharon S. said...

okay, maybe take an old western movie title and change it around a bit. Like "How The West Was Won" into "How The West Was Haunted" only I don't really like that one, but you get the idea . "Cowboys, Indians and Ghosts, OH MY!" "The Good, the Bad, and the Dusty (I like that one )

Casey said...

Yeah, Sharon, that's exactly what I've been trying to do. Have a list of old Western movie titles here and just keep playing around with them. One of these days, something will click.

Sharon S. said...

Good luck!
How about "Take that Quinn, you butt-head!"
:snicker:

Casey said...

Oh, Sharon! I have such a perfect revenge planned for Quinn in book #7 (out on April 5). It was a stroke of genius, if I do say so myself!

Sharon S. said...

:squeeee!: excuse my fangirl moment . Go get'em Pepper!