Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Did You See It?


Here’s the thing about Cleveland in December–it’s cold! Especially out here in the suburbs, far from the lake that (since it still isn’t frozen) keeps the lakeshore area a tad warmer. Here, directly to the south of the city and on higher ground, we’ve already gotten more than two feet of snow this season. Between the snow cover and the plunging temperatures, things can get chilly.

There’s no time that proves that quite like 2 o’clock in the morning, and nothing that proves that even a little cold isn’t going to stop us Clevelanders like a total lunar eclipse.

Did you see it?

In the wee small hours of Tuesday morning, my daughter and I ventured out into the driveway to watch. We were dressed less than fashionably: boots, coats, hats, gloves, hoods. And we made hot chocolate to help keep us warm.

Our biggest problem (another thing typical of Cleveland) was the clouds. In fact, we thought we might not see the eclipse at all. But at 1:30 am, when I heard it was supposed to start, I walked out and saw a break in the clouds. There must have been a lot of wind aloft because the clouds up there were floating and flying. On the ground, fortunately, things were calm.

The breaks in the clouds allowed us to see most of the eclipse, and we watched until the earth’s shadow completely hid the moon. For a while, our world was plunged into rusty shadows. Since Monday night/Tuesday morning was also the Winter Solstice, I had a candle burning out on the bridge that spans our tiny creek. The combination of fire and snow and the spectacular show in the sky made for a memorable evening. Er...morning.

Since I won’t be checking in until next week–Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Sharon S. said...

I didn't stay up, but my 9 year old did! She told my parents "well, now I've seen it" . Hope you have a safe and happy holiday!

Casey said...

I love it that kids still care about things like this! When my kids were little, we'd take blankets out to the driveway for every celestial event. We'd pack snacks and drinks, too, and lay outside and watch. For the last summer meteor shower, my daughter (now an adult) and her boyfriend went out on his family's boat in the wee small hours of the morning to watch. I guess some things we do with our kids really do stick!

Angie Fox said...

Very cool! Now I wish we would have stayed up. But I have little ones who will be up at 6:00 a.m. regardless, so it was a calculated sacrifice. ;)

Casey said...

I barely managed, and I didn't have to be up at 6 the next morning! Not used to late nights! That tells you what a party animal I am.