Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tweet, Tweet!


I have never been shy about confessing that I’m not very technological. Oh, I can get by on the computer. I’ve even done Power Point demonstrations for writing workshops. But when it comes to all this new social networking stuff, I must admit, I’m at sea.

Yes, I have a FaceBook page. And yes, it’s nice to see what friends and family are up to once in a while. In fact, it’s often the only way I know what my adult children are doing. But other than that . . . well, honestly as many times as I’ve tried to wrap my head around it, I can’t for the life of me figure out why any of it matters.

And then there’s Twitter. Really? Checking in constantly to update the world on where you are and what you’re doing? Could there be any bigger hubris? And frankly, folks, do you think anyone cares?

Well, maybe they do. Maybe this is a brave new world and this is how friends stay in touch and keep close and communicate. And maybe it works for them so I say, have at it! But as I was thinking of all this yesterday, I kept a list. If I was a Twitterer (or is it a Tweeter?), here’s what I would have posted yesterday:

9 o’clock
Tea and email. Lots of business correspondence to catch up on.

10 o’clock
Tea, Cheerios and the USA Today online crossword. It’s a ritual.

11 o’clock
Butt in chair, working

12 o’clock
Butt in chair, working

1 o’clock
Salad and four Saltines while butt in chair, working

2 o’clock
Butt in chair, working

3 o’clock
Butt in chair, working

4 o’clock
Butt in chair, working

5 o’clock
Butt in chair, working

I dunno, would anyone really want to be in my social network and read this stuff?

I know I wouldn’t!

6 comments:

Sharon S. said...

well, maybe your butt could get a twitter account and give snippets of what it sees on the computer .
My daughter follows her favorite musician's tweets. All of a sudden she will blurt out "OMG, Andy Six just ate chicken!" seriously.

Shirley Damsgaard said...

Lol, Casey!! Add in a nap and your day sounds a lot like mine!!

Casey said...

We do have dull lives, don't we, Shirley. Funny, I always thought that writing mysteries, my life would be like Jessica Fletcher's. You know, Irish castles, Hawaiian luaus, luxury dude ranches. Hmmm...where did I go wrong!

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Both Twitter and Facebook's status reports are too confining. Often I have more to say. With Facebook, at least you can post more in a note. Unfortunately, you miss notes if you click "status updates," so then you have to post a status update calling attention to your note... That seems like too much trouble to me. {lop-sided smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Casey said...

Wow, Anne Elizabeth, I knew I didn't know much about Facebook...but I don't even know what you're talking about when you mention things like status updates. Yikes! I am such a Luddite!!!

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

A "status update" seems to be what they call the normal post you make to your wall if you don't include a link. It's limited to 200 and some characters in length, but a lot of real-life news fits there. If I click on "friends" in the sidebar, I have an option to check only my friends' status updates. I don't see anything where a link was added, which cuts out any annoucements where they have pictures of the events. However, it's still useful when I don't have the time to wade thru all the game-oriented posts to find the personal news. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin