Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Let's Talk Writing

Hey all, we're snowed in today in St. Louis. Well, I mean I could get out if I wanted, but the house is warm, I have these great fluffy boot slippers on and the house smells like bacon, so I'm really not eager to go anywhere.

The kiddos are also home from school which makes for short periods of silence where I worry what they're doing. As every parent knows, quiet = trouble brewing. And just when I'm about to call 911, they barrel through the family room much like a mob of wild ferrets.

Needless to say, I'm not going to get much writing done today. But I thought what we did last week on this blog was a lot of fun. We started talking about critique groups and writing and issues that unpublished writers face. So since I'll be here all day, at your disposal, I'm opening up the blog to questions. Feel free to ask anything you'd like about writing. Even if you're not an aspiring writer, if you're an avid reader and have always wondered why in the heck authors do X or publishers do Y, ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

Signed,
Angie under seige

4 comments:

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Sorry I didn't respond yesterday. I'm getting over a cold, and yesterday wasn't as good as today. {Smile}

At the moment, I'm feeling out a new story. I have bits and pieces, but I'm still not sure how they'll fit together into a story. {Smile}

The household advice in times like these is "wait until it comes to you." I can't help wondering if other writers have different approaches in the matter. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

(Now with the quote closed properly. {wink, Smile}

Angie Fox said...

I've heard that too. And I think it works for the most part. Then again, I'm not the most patient person so what also works for me is to grab a notebook and brainstorm for a solid hour - no stopping to analyze, no judgements, just getting ideas down on paper and seeing where they lead. It's really freeing and it can help break through whatever is blocking the ideas.

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

Thanks. I'll have to try that. It's a frustratingly intractable story at this point. I know I can switch to another story, but I'd like to get this one un--stuck already. {Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin