Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New Calendar

As New Year’s rituals go, this one is pretty basic: at the beginning of the year, I always put away my desk calendar and replace it with the new one that I find in my Christmas stocking (thanks, Santa!). This year is no exception and that’s what I did this morning. While I was at it, I kept track of all the little bits and pieces and reminders I found tucked away in last year’s calendar. Here’s what the treasure hunt revealed:

A two-for-one coupon to Panera. That will come in handy next week; I’ve got lunch date there with a friend.

The contract reminding me I’m speaking at the Lakeland Community College Writers Conference on March 26. Very important to keep front and center, especially before I had that new calendar to mark the date.

A note about doc appointments. Ditto above. Now that I’ve got that new calendar, they’re all written down, and I can get rid of one piece of paper off my desk. It’s history.

My son’s social security number. Go figure.

A card that gives me a special deal on a prescription I recently had filled. I’ll pay no more than $25, it promises. Since the prescription ended up being free, I guess I don’t need it.

An Akron Beacon Journal review of "Tomb with a View" sent along by a friend.

A friend’s mother’s cell phone number. You never know.

A cover flat for "Tomb with a View." It’s time for covers for "A Hard Day’s Fright," the next book in the series, so I think this one can be filed away.

A wallet-size photo, my daughter’s high school graduation picture. She’s 31 now.

A knitting pattern. I’ll probably never make the "Super Knitted Poncho," but it’s adorable, and a reader had it on at a signing and was kind enough to send me the pattern.

A friend’s daughter’s cell phone number. Another you-never-know.

An insurance identification card that belonged to my husband before we were married. Why do I have it? I have no idea!

How about you? What are you New Year’s rituals? And what did you find tucked in your 2010 calendar?

2 comments:

Angie Fox said...

I'm big on marking birthdays. About five years ago, I forgot a friend's birthday because I didn't think I needed to write down birthdays anymore. Now that's the first thing I do when transferring calendars. That and I always find a mountain of receipts!

Sharon S. said...

I have a file cabinet where I keep everything important through out the year (makes doing taxes real easy). Every Jan I go through it (with the shredder at my feet) and weed. I also go through the things I got from my kids (stories, pictures, what nots). I keep my calender for one year (in a file) so I can use it to look up old doctors appointments, phone numbers I jotted down and forgot to put in my addy book. It is kind of a diary of my year. In on my new calender I put birthdays and book releases . Shredding is so much fun!