Thursday, January 20, 2011

Self Improvement

I've noticed something recently-it's online, on the covers of magazines, and in all the bookstores. There are two topics that everyone seems to be concerned about, and I haven't figured out if it's because it's the beginning of a new year, or if it's because January is such a sucky month! The weather is undependable at best and beyond freezing at worst. Nothing's going on-it's just a boring month! Whatever the reason-right now it's all about self improvement, and it seems, if you believe the media blitz, that the two most important ways to improve yourself are:

Budgeting your money and losing weight!

Okay, to be honest, here in the Midwest, we could probably use some helpful weight loss tips. We do tend to pack on a few pounds during the winter. (Hey, we need a little extra layer of fat to protect us from all the cold weather!) And because of said weather, outdoor activities are minimal. We're bored and thus we eat, but have no way to burn off the calories unless we make an effort to exercise. (Of which, I believe I've mentioned a few times, I'm not particularly fond of doing!)

However, someone in my critique group decided that it would be fun if we all used our Wii's and did a little exercise challenge. And you know what? It's working! Knowing that the other girls are faithfully doing their 30 minutes has inspired me to do the same. I'm on my third week now of exercising at least 150 minutes a week by using a combination of the Wii for aerobics (hula hoop and boxing are my favorites) and hand weights for strength training. I'm even keeping a food diary. (Who knew that a cup of Chex Mix had 961 calories!!! Really blew my calorie intake that day!!!)

The results of all this healthy living? No, I haven't given up on the Chex Mix and I have had an occasional Big Mac, but I'm more conscientious about what I'm putting into my mouth. Also the "jiggles" aren't quite as "jiggley" as they were. And my back, which has bothered me a bit since surgery last year, is definitely better. So maybe all the media hype (and encouragement from friends) is a good thing. If it inspires people like me to try and implement healthier habits.

But the real question is how long will this last? I'm notorious for picking something up, doing it for about six weeks, then getting bored with it and quitting. We'll see if these changes in my life are permanent!!

That's it for this week! Have a good one and catch you next!

Best,
Shirley

1 comment:

Sharon S. said...

that is wonderful! my dad loves the Wii fit stuff. I have lots of aerobic instructor friends who say it takes 30 days to make it a habit and 100 days to make it a permanent change. Don't give up!
*961 calories, really?! That just makes me sad...