Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Please tell me I'm not the only one

I was in the mood for vampires last night, and nothing on my (overloaded) shelves was calling out to me, so I downloaded Vampire Vendetta off of Amazon (great book, by the way). I don't own an e-reader. I haven't yet been able to pull that trigger because I like print books too much. But I do have the Amazon for PC application on the computer and it's nice. I like it for when I want a book immediately (impatient much?) or if a book is coming out at 12:01 and I'm a dork enough (guilty as charged) to stay up and get it right away.

But there's one thing I discovered last night that makes me think e-readers may not be for me after all. When things get exciting in a book, and I'm all jacked up on the suspense and I need to know what is going to happen next...I flip ahead. I cheat. It's an awful, awful habit and it probably interferes with my enjoyment of the book, but there you go.

I knew the romantic ending of Shadowfever on page 23 - because that was the point where I snuck ahead and skimmed the ending. Want to know the end of Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls (the latest ghost hunter mystery), I knew before I ever left the book store. I admit that one was bad - worse than usual.

And it leaves me with a Kindle dilemma. Do you know how hard it is to flip ahead on an electronic book? I must have hit that little arrow key a hundred times last night. Didn't stop me, mind you. Or even slow me down. But it did make it 100% crystal clear that I am indeed a page flipper, an ending-peeker.

I like it that way. I've done it since I was a pre-teen reading Agatha Christie. It's just that nobody has ever made me think about it while hitting an arrow key over and over like a trained monkey. Curses to Kindle. Well, until next time at least.

11 comments:

Sharon S. said...

I am a pager flipper too! I too knew the ending of Shadowfever after the first chapter. I have a kindle and that is the only complaint I have. You can't flip through, even just to look for that awesome quote you want to add to a review . There is a function that will let you pick a chapter to skip too, but it isn't the same. I am also guilty of searching out spoilers for my favorite shows cause I can't wait to find out what is going to happen next. And I am okay with that :)

Reina said...

lol...I don't do that, but I too have only Kindle for PC. And I have also been up late downloading, or even searching the free reads (as if my book shelves weren't overflowing)! ;)

Angie Fox said...

We had to know the end, right? Shadowfever is a long book. Gotta know it turns out all right.

Angie Fox said...

I hear you, Reina. I do the same thing. My Kindle for PC has a bunch of books and my shelves are already double stacked. But what if there's that one more book that we need, right? We can't miss any!

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

My Dad insists on peeking at the end when a book is long. He's a slow reader, so he doesn't want to waste time reading a booksthat ends badly. So he checks the last chapter to make sure the ending is worth getting to. {Smile}

Me... I'm more comfortable skipping ahead to follow a single character than skipping back and forth between characters when things get interesting. So I'll start at the beginning. When it get interesting, then switches to another character, I'll stick the bookmark in, and search out that character's scenes until I'm satisfied with that storyline. Then I'll go back to the bookmark, and read from there until some other character catches my interest enough to stick the book mark in and follow them. Sometimes I've done this enough to feel satisfied with the book before I reach the end. Then I say I've "browsed" the book instead of read it. I normally know the highlights, but I've probably missed a few scenes about characters who never caught my interest (like villians), and I'm not quite clear how the disparate storylines fit together. If I said I've read it, I've read thru to the end, including the last eighty pages or so that I'd browsed several times apiece, so I can be sure I know how the pieces fit together. {Smile}

Does this hurt my enjoyment? {spread hands} Some folks insist it must, but when I really want to find out what happens to this character, switching to that one kills the flow for me. I do not enjoy switching gears like that. {lop-sided smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

Angie Fox said...

I'm that way too. Sometimes a storyline just isn't catching me or I'd rather focus on the main plot rather than some secondary character's plot, so I'll skip entire sections. Maybe go back later, maybe not. And e-books really make this hard too.

Diane P said...

You have to mark down where you were and then use the Go to page to see the ending. Can you tell that I have to know the endings?Then you Go to your original page. ;)

Many years ago they put out a series of mysteries with the last several pages uncut so you couldn't see the endings. Guess who cut the pages ahead of time?

Sharon S. said...

"So he checks the last chapter to make sure the ending is worth getting to. {Smile}"

I like that excuse, I'm gonna use that .

Angie Fox said...

Yes, Sharon. It's completely intellectual to check the last pages. It is in no way giving in to morbid curiosity. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Angie Fox said...

Hi Diane, does that "Go" thing work for Kindle for PC? I can't find it (which is par for the course - it's probably there in flashing red letters or something).

The mysteries with the sealed endings would drive me bonkers. I'd be sharing your scissors, reading the ending before any pages at that point, just because, well, you gotta know!

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin said...

I tend to agree with Dad about needing a decent end. There's one books I picked up several times at the bookstore. The cover, blurb, etc. looked good. However, the ending wasn't how I like to leave a story, so it went back on the shelf. {Amused Smile}

Anne Elizabeth Baldwin