Thursday, February 3, 2011

Technology

Personally, I do love my technology. I've got Netflix on my Wii; a Kindle; high speed Internet; a Smart Phone; satellite TV; Skype (though I haven't quite figured out how to use this yet). This all seems to take a bite out of my budget, but honestly, I don't know what I'd choose to give up if push came to shove. I like having information at my fingertips via the Web. I can shop online and pay my bills without ever leaving my house. The idea of being able to talk to someone anywhere in the world face to face so to speak via Skype is pretty cool. And email-my agent and editor are in New York, but they're only a click away if I have any questions or concerns while working on a new book. Thanks to my Kindle, I have access to any book I want within seconds even though I live 40 miles from the nearest bookstore.

There's been a lot of chatter online recently about how this is all changing our world, and I've been paying attention to what they're saying specifically about the publishing industry. Buying trends are shifting and e-books are now outselling mass market paperbacks. Also, thanks to various digital text platforms, anyone can now by pass traditional publishing and put their work out as an e-book. (I checked my Kindle, and as of today at 7:00 a.m., there are currently 831,366 titles available.)

There are pluses to this-readers have more choices now and authors who previously went un-noticed now have an opportunity to garner readers. But here's my concern, how are those readers ever going to find a new author amidst all those titles? Will reader reviews take on more importance? How about the "star" ratings? Are people going to be paying more attention to the number stars a book earns? Will online review sites play a larger role in promoting new books? Or will a well-written book automatically rise to the top based on its quality? I honestly don't know.

What's your opinion?

That's it for this week-take care and I'll see you next Thursday.
Best,
Shirley

2 comments:

Sharon S. said...

I think there will be this major influx of new authors who always wanted to write a book. Over time they will get that reality check and maybe the market won't be *so big. There is no way to keep up with everything coming out. I rely on blog sites that review the genres I like. I have about 21 I visit daily to see what is new. Star ratings will sway how high or low a book will be on my TBR list (which has 197 books and grows everyday!). But I judge the book read worthy or not based on the blurb. If I like the storyline I want to read it.
I sometimes get overwhelmed by all the books out there I want to read.

SandyG265 said...

I think blog sites are becomming more important. There just isn't anyway to browse through shelves and see what catches your eye when you're looking for books online. I've found several new authors by checking out books that I've seen recommended on blogs.

The other thing that I think will become more important is being able to read a sample of a book online before you buy it.