Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring Broken

Happy Monday everyone! So far so good. Still waiting on my official title and cover, but there's still plenty of time until the 2012 apocalypse is upon us. ;)

My household is on Spring Break. What does that mean? Well, with such a nice day outside I plan to open the windows and enjoy the pleasant breeze and the sunshine. I have my laptop ready and my work in progress is finally coming along nicely. But, and there's always a but, spring break at my house also means that my children are home. That means that I'm not only trying to write my next book, but I'm also cleaning up after spills, helping the princess diva preschooler with her potty routine, scrambling for batteries for Wii remotes, cooking chicken nuggets for the millionth time, raking up the mountain of leaves in the front yard, and between all of these activities I'm writing. (Thank goodness this book doesn't have any sex in it... LOL)

Like all things in life, we have to work around real life and I'm no different. I do miss the days though when I was in college and worse thing I had to worry about was finishing my homework on time. Oh yeah, there was the important sorority stuff, but compared to now, I had it so easy back then. Spring Break was at home with family. (I didn't do the traveling thing during spring break. No money for that.)

I used to be able to work through anything. With my first book, I started around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Like Charlton Heston said during the Planet of the Apes, "It's a mad house! A mad house!" Yep, that was my house. Back then I had the focus of a mongoose dodging a cobra. My kids could climb on me, do various funny dances, but I ignored them. So fast forward two years. Well, that sharp little mongoose would be cobra food today. LOL.

So now that I've exposed how productive I'll be this week, any tips on how to keep the kids busy during spring break without making them stay outside all day? Just kidding. Well, unless that really works... Although I potentially see a Lord of Flies thing happening--with the diva winning of course.

5 comments:

Reina said...

Have them do "science experiments" in the kitchen? This keeps my boys, 4 and 6, busy for a while. ;) Though the clean up can be interesting. Or get a giant box--castle, spaceship, boat...I wish you luck. Our spring break is next month. *shivers* All the best. :)

Casey said...

Oh, I feel your pain! I started writing fiction when my kids were young. I remember one particularly bad winter when schools were closed for 11 days in a row. I was the "at home" mom in the neighborhood ("oh, she doesn't work, she stays home all day"--right!) and everyone sent their kids to our house. It was nuts. But I managed to keep writing. Maybe not a lot, and maybe it was crap. But it was writing, and I could edit it and it got done. I guess that's the only advice I would offer. Just soldier through. It will get done, and it will be good, and those kids . . .they won't stay little forever. Enjoy them while you can!

Sharon S. said...

The big box is always a crowd pleaser! Mine have next week off and I am sending them to my parents for the week!!! (insert happy dance. I love my kids, but...momma needs a vacation too ;)

A nice natural science museum is always a good day waster or a day trip to somewhere fun (the NC mountains are only 1 1/2 hours from me) finding a park with a creek! best fun ever for kids, just bring dry clothes and shoes.

Shawntelle Madison said...

Great ideas so far! May have to try out a few of them.

Sharon - you are so lucky!

SandyG265 said...

I wish we had spring weather. It snowed this morning in NJ.