Friday, March 18, 2011

What We Don't Realize We Know


           How much information have you stuffed into your head over your lifetime? How to do this, how to do that, how you should handle this, what skills you need for that, etc etc. There's a lot of information packed into that magnificent brain of yours, isn't there? It's practically limitless what you can accomplish with all the knowledge you've got in there…right?
           Well…yes. But maybe not in the way you think.
           See, sometimes, we have so much information buzzing in our brains that we forget to listen to the real expert. Who is that font of perfect knowledge? It's you. Not the conscious mind racing with a thousand learned responses. It's your soul, your spirit, your physical body. It's telling us things all the day, all night, all the time, but so often, we are so busy trying to manage our lives that we don't even notice the plethora of true information being offered to us.
           An example: recently, I had plans with some people who I didn't feel comfortable with. I felt I should go, and that it would be best for me to go, so I agreed. But the day before I was supposed to go, I started to feel sick. My stomach started bothering me, and I felt awful. My sweetie came home and I told him that I thought I was getting sick, and I couldn't go out the next day. He looked at me, and said, "Sweetheart, you don't have to go."
           The moment he said that, this huge wave of relief rushed over me. And in that moment, I realized that I hadn't actually been getting sick. It had been my body's way of telling me that going wasn't the right choice. It took almost getting sick before I heard that message, but I finally did. I didn't go, and I was so happy that I made that choice. And you know what? As soon as I made the choice not to go, I felt better.
           Sometimes, when we're in a bad mood or feel under the weather, we make ourselves soldier on, doing whatever it is we are supposed to be doing, and we never slow down enough to ask ourselves what that bad mood or feeling is trying to tell us. When things are off kilter, so often it's our soul's way of trying to guide in the direction that we really want to go, and if we just slow down long enough to listen, then that's when special things finally get a chance to happen.
           What about you? Have you ever had an experience where your subconscious was trying to tell you something, and when you finally listened, something good happened?

4 comments:

Sharon S. said...

all the time!! . The biggest is probably with my teenage daughter. She is a rhomboid everyone was trying to fit into a round hole in school and in life. My husband, her psychologist, teachers...she was miserable so I finally said she will be what she needs and wants to be with unconditional love. And now she is a creative, crazy, outspoken, intelligent (she has all honors classes in 9th grade), girl who has taken her fascination with death in a positive direction (she wants to be a forensic anthropologist)

These two songs by Pink (Raise You Glass and F***ing Perfect) say it best :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjVNlG5cZyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Rax2PXiWA

Stephanie Rowe said...

Hi Sharon

What a great post. You are so right that often our kids are sending us messages that we have to read between the lines to understand what is really going. You sound like such a great mom!

Stephanie

Sharon S. said...

Great mom? Let me tell you about the time I left her at the YMCA game room when she was 7. I forgot I brought her and didn't remember till I got home .

Shawntelle Madison said...

Welcome Stephanie! Oh my goodness, I've had so many times where something told me to turn right, but I turned left and things didn't go as planned. Sometimes I tend to leap before I look, and boy have I paid the price.

The one good thing is that every time I do hesitate and think about my decision, I tend to get things right.