Thursday, April 21, 2011

Happy Easter!


I love adventure and the dictionary defines it in the following way:

1.an exciting or very unusual experience.2. a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.

Since I lead a fairly mundane life…I don’t go mountain climbing or bungee jumping (not really fond of heights!); I don’t find myself in exotic locations (trips to conferences are about as “exotic” as I get); and at my age, I’m wise enough not to seek out hazardous situations! No, to me, “adventure” means anything that doesn’t quite turn out the way one expects. And I do have plenty of those! Particularly ones that involve my grandchildren…for example what I refer to as “The Easter Egg Tree Adventure.”

I think part of my role as a grandmother is to give my grandchildren experiences that their parents might not, and recently I came up with the brilliant idea of making an Easter egg tree. At first, I’d thought to use real eggs and just blow them out. That was until a friend reminded me that said grandchildren were boys and under the age of ten. She made the point that little boys and fragile eggs really don’t mix. Instead of nice pristine eggs, I’d wind up with a bunch of broken egg shells. She suggested using plastic eggs wrapped in paper mache. Here’s what I learned after this particular adventure:

Three little boys + three pans of runny flour and water + three dogs + numerous strips of paper=one HUGE mess.

My table was covered with stuck-on goo; I had “floury” hand prints on numerous surfaces, such as cloth covered chair seats; and the dogs considered the drying eggs to be a food source. (Who knew they’d steal them off the table and enjoy eating the flour-soaked paper! Thanks to their thieving ways, we lost about a dozen, and my floors were littered with itsy-bitsy pieces of paper and chewed plastic.)

Did the tree wind up looking like I had expected once we’d hung the remaining eggs? Nope. Martha Stewart would no doubt be horrified at the centerpiece that sits proudly on my kitchen table! The plaster holding the branches upright in the container didn’t harden and those branches now lean precariously against its sides. I didn’t mix the flour and water well enough, and the eggs, in addition to being lumpy, are covered with little flakes of brown “stuff”. Plus the dried paper didn’t absorb the Easter egg coloring as well as one might expect and most of them turned out a rather nasty pastel.

BUT…did the boys have fun?? Yes, they did! And in the end, isn’t that what an “adventure” is supposed to be?

How about you? What are some of your “adventures”?

That’s it for this week—have a Happy Easter!!!

Best,
Shirley

3 comments:

Casey said...

It's a beautiful Easter egg tree, and you'll always have good memories about it. Well...after the bad ones fade!

Shirley Damsgaard said...

Right!! lol! But to be truthful--the tree looks better in the picture than it does it real life. Don't tell the boys, but it's got to be the most god-awful ugly thing I've seen in a long time! *g*

I forgot to mention that the dogs also managed to get "mached"! They had bits of flour sticking to their fur for about a week!!

And you're right about the good memories--I'm such a glutton for punishment that I've already thought of ways we can do better next year!! Will I never learn! *g*

Sharon S. said...

I love the tree! and there is probably no way their mom would have let them do that (I know I wouldn't) .